Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 3rd model Dragoon adjustments  (Read 2953 times)

Offline electricfactory

• View Profile
3rd model Dragoon adjustments
« on: October 08, 2020, 11:57:10 AM »
I've wanted a 3rd model Dragoon for some time, this because of the leaf rear sight array. I think it's the only C&B pistol which seems to beg for a shoulder stock becuae of the rear sights. Unfortunately trying to find a shoulder stock for a Colt's Dragoon is, if not impossible very unlikely.

Here's a Dragoon I came across some time ago which I believe started life as an ASM, this because of the serial number placements on the gun. Also, one or another previous owner has aged the pistol and defarbed it- no Italian markings remain although any remotely practiced eye would know this wasn't a vintage original.

Still, internally it's in excellent condition and after a bit of work to lighten the mainspring it appears it'll make a good shooter ( I haven't yet had the chance to take it to the range).

My question for you Dragoon shooters- have you experienced the loading lever dropping ala the Walker ? I've read a fair bit about this happening to some Dragoon revolvers but not others. What's the fix for such should I discover mine becomes disengaged during firing ?

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd model Dragoon adjustments
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 12:29:45 PM »
ASM is the only modern manufacturer who had the barrel-mounted 3-leaf rear sight. Your 3rd Model has the 1851 Navy/1860 Army improved load-lever latch (horizontal), which should never drop upon firing if it is working properly.

The original latch, as well as the one used by Uberti today, on the Whitneyville Hartford, 1st Model, and most 2nd Models is the "S-type" vertical latch, which will drop frequently with heavy (40-grain) loads. Don't ask me how I know that.

3rd Model Dragoons have the improved horizontal latch.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 01:04:53 PM »
EF,

Your ASM 3rd Model Dragoon is very nice, as are the photos. Good one of the rear sight. The person who did the defarbing/antiquing was pretty good at it, and he left the fairly low serial numbers intact so it would not be confused with an original Colt. I am thinking it was most likely produced in the very late 60's/early 70's; the manufacture date code would have been on the right side of the frame in Roman numerals, the barrel would have been marked on the lower right side with "SM" preceding the warning billboard, and the forward left side of the frame would have been marked S.MARCO.

Later ASMs had the datecode, proofs, serial number, and the ASM logo on the bottom of the frame near the barrel lug, usually faintly stamped.

Thanks for showing off your revolver to us. Everyone here likes photos. I am a very poor photographer so all of my photos consist of revolver profiles.  :(

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »
That is a beautiful 3rd Model Dragoon Electricfactory. Much more beautiful than mine!

Mine started out as a really beat up gun I got in a trade. The only logical thing I could do was strip it. The blueing was in a sad state, so I decided to give it an antique job. Plus, the previous owner saw fit to put some brass eagles on the grips, and their was no way to fix that. So I took them off and replaced the tacks. It's better but not ideal. It's still one of my favorite shooters though.

It's had many, many rounds through it, and it never drops the loading lever. It just went to Outlawkid to get his "Texas Tune" put on it. It sure works good now!

The serial on mine is only 228 before yours. And the date code on mine is AC, so 1977. I would imagine yours to be about the same vintage being that close in serial number.

I'd once again like to commend you on your photography skills too. Great pictures!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline electricfactory

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 05:27:39 PM »
ShotgunDave thanks so much for posting, like those grips with the tacks in them a lot! And what a coincidence, Outlaw Kid just happens to have my Dragoon at this very moment! He's doing a Texas Tune on mine as well, please tell me about the 'before' and 'after'. The accolades his work is recieiving is impressive so I sent mine to him just last week. My gun had very heavy mainspring, Outlaw explained it wasn't just the mainspring making the hammer pull heavy and has substituted several springs.
By the way thanks also for the date info, I had no way of knowing how old the gun was.

That is a beautiful 3rd Model Dragoon Electricfactory. Much more beautiful than mine!

Mine started out as a really beat up gun I got in a trade. The only logical thing I could do was strip it. The blueing was in a sad state, so I decided to give it an antique job. Plus, the previous owner saw fit to put some brass eagles on the grips, and their was no way to fix that. So I took them off and replaced the tacks. It's better but not ideal. It's still one of my favorite shooters though.

It's had many, many rounds through it, and it never drops the loading lever. It just went to Outlawkid to get his "Texas Tune" put on it. It sure works good now!

The serial on mine is only 228 before yours. And the date code on mine is AC, so 1977. I would imagine yours to be about the same vintage being that close in serial number.

I'd once again like to commend you on your photography skills too. Great pictures!

Offline electricfactory

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 05:30:31 PM »
Sourdough,
 Thanks for the info, it looks like at least three of us in this thread like these older ASM 3rd model Dragoons!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 06:30:26 PM »
Sourdough,
 Thanks for the info, it looks like at least three of us in this thread like these older ASM 3rd model Dragoons!

Four!
I have two San Marco's...a 1st Dragoon and a 2nd, as well as a Uberti 2nd. Frankly, I like the ASMs better. I dislike the red finish Uberti puts on the grips. I also have an ASM Walker that is at Goon's Gun Works as we speak. Mike (Goon) did his 'Outlaw Mule' thing with my ASM 2nd and it's a wonder to behold! I'll try to post some pix but I'm sure they won't hold a candle to yours! Thanks for sharing!
Oh, and as was mentioned, the first and second model Dragoons WILL drop the loading lever on an annoyingly regular basis with anything close to 40 grains 3F. My 'Goon' does not as Mike worked the 'S' type latch over good. Too good, in fact...it can be a real PITA to unlatch it for loading!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:34:22 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 06:42:44 PM »
You're more than welcome Electricfactory. I like the tacks too. Looks like maybe an Indian mighta had it one time maybe.

You are going to love the Texas Tune job from Sergio. It is like night and day! My other 3rd Model had an extremely heavy hammer pull. And it had a reduced power spring in it. Sergio actually put the factory spring back in, and it's light as can be. Even my 16 year old daughter can cock it one handed now. It's amazing.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 06:53:13 PM »
Here's a rather poor shot of the 2nd 'Goon' Dragoon..

You can see how the silver is worn through...

Rode hard and put away wet...

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline electricfactory

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 07:05:54 AM »
Shotgun,
 The mnore I look at those grips the more I like them. In fact, I think I've seen such in a picture of an original Indian owned Colt's Dragoon. I wish I still had my Packing Iron book, I think I may have seen that picture there.
Have a question for you; what method did you use to remove the finish- vinegar or somnething else ? If you did use that method how did you achieve the nice mottled effect ? Whatever it was I find it a very appealing look for the Dragoon.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 09:34:03 AM »
Thanks for the Kindly words Electricfactory.

I did indeed use white vinegar to strip the remaining blue off the Dragoon. I then removed the "Black Powder only" billboards off the barrel. Once that was done, I used a little trick to make the mottling on the gun. You're probably gonna laugh, but I used yellow mustard. Yes you read that right!

Just blob it on the surface wherever you want the dark spots. I tried to be random about it so it would look natural. I left the mustard on for an hour or so, then rinsed the gun with warm water and oiled it up good. I think the desired effect was achieved.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.  ^j)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 09:35:38 AM by ShotgunDave »
-Abe Lincoln