Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Round ball pouch  (Read 1966 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Round ball pouch
« on: November 04, 2020, 08:32:29 PM »
Today I cast a big pile of .44 round balls. Usually I just keep them in an old Hornady cardboard box. Pretty boring, and not very stylish.

Quite a while ago, I bought a bunch of scrap leather from Mike116, and have been looking for the right project to use some of it on. This seemed like the perfect opportunity.

In the box, were several pieces of some beautiful butter soft calf skin. So I stitched it all together, to make one piece big enough to use as the main body of the bag.

For the bottom of the bag, I went with a thick piece of leather and I made it round. I wanted the bag to be able to stand up on its own, so the balls don't dribble out and roll all over the place.

All in all, I think it will serve me well. It has around 250 balls in it right now, and it seems to be plenty sturdy.

"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Round ball pouch
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 10:01:36 PM »
Looking good, Dave! Very nice pouch. I like things that look original or plausibly so. This does fill that criteria. Cool and useful looking. The flat bottom will keep it from falling over and letting the balls roll out.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »
Great job buddy! Especially on the bottom!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 10:04:39 AM »
Thanks fellas!

If you like this one, wait till you see the one I'm working on now. It's a molded flask for your back pocket. I'll start a separate thread for it later today.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 10:19:41 AM »
Thanks fellas!

If you like this one, wait till you see the one I'm working on now. It's a molded flask for your back pocket. I'll start a separate thread for it later today.
Is this going to be sealed with brewer's pitch or is it for another use? Either way, I'm looking forward to it. I love molded leather.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »
Thanks fellas!

Is this going to be sealed with brewer's pitch or is it for another use? Either way, I'm looking forward to it. I love molded leather.

I should have been more specific. It won't be for drinking from Marshal. It is a round ball dispenser in the shape of a flask. Just an easy, convenient way to carry your lead around.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 11:05:10 AM »
Thanks fellas!

I should have been more specific. It won't be for drinking from Marshal. It is a round ball dispenser in the shape of a flask. Just an easy, convenient way to carry your lead around.
Careful that the iron in your blood doesn't combine with the lead in your.... back pocket. (7+"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »
Very nice Dave. I made one several years ago, but it wasn't done as nice as yours, and I didn't have a hard round leather bottom.