Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Hello from new member in Norway  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from new member in Norway
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 08:13:51 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Brassica. That's a very nice pistol. Congrats on landing that one. Looking forward to seeing more of you around here.

Offline Brassica

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 08:20:37 AM »
Hej Brass, and welcome (from a bloody Swede)

Hei Len, nice hearing from a neighbour :).

Offline Brassica

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 08:23:28 AM »
.020 cylinder gap can give you issues. Recommended gap for the Colt reproductions is .002-.005. Initially you can probably live with it with the negative results being lots of flash-over and potential chain fire issues if you don't have a tight seal or insufficient lube over the balls. Long term, I'd be concerned with the cylinder having a 'slide hammer' effect on the frame and possibly battering the wedge.

I suspected something like that. Any idea what I could do to improve it?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2020, 08:37:35 AM »
I think the only cures for the large cylinder gap would be, removing material from the end of the arbor, and a like amount from the barrel lug. And then re-fitting the wedge. But I doubt you'd want to perform such modifications to a valuable original gun.

You could also have metal added to the forcing cone by having it TIG welded. But again, major mods to your original gun.

Other than that, I don't know how else to close that gap. Hopefully 45Dragoon will weigh in and give us his opinion. He's the true expert.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 08:39:07 AM »
I would add some material to the the end of the barrel (TIG welding with a copper rod in the forcing cone, to make sure not to get any bumps inside), then with a guiding rod in the barrel, grind the welding down, so the addition is about .4  millimeter.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »
A temporary, non-altering approach would be to turn out a sleeve to fit over the outside of the forcing cone and glued to it. Material thickness .3 to .4 mm