Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Shooting my new Walker  (Read 9336 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Shooting my new Walker
« on: December 21, 2013, 09:24:40 PM »
Went out into the cold to shoot my new Walker today.  Took it down to the ranch and put 2 cylinders at 40g T7 through it ( 1 for me and 1 for my son).   At 40 yards all shots landed on 81/2 x 11 paper.  The range is sixty yards long so we just walked up about twenty yards and fired from there.  I had to use some printer paper taped to a box because I forgot to bring any targets.  After the first two cylinders I loaded it up with 50g T7 and RBs.  It seemed to shoot tighter with the 50g load.   We were standing shooting off hand and had to hold about 6 inches low to be on the middle of the paper.  Wanted to shoot more from the bench but it was cold (25 degrees) and about a 10mph wind.  The wind was cold but bright sunshine helped a lot.  Next time I'll try loading it up full and see what happens.   Also want to get some Old Ensford and see how well I like it in the Walker and my Dragoon.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:26:45 PM by mike116 »

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
Re: Shooting my new Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 12:42:29 AM »
Way to go Mike!  )k*

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 03:39:43 AM »
Nice shooting. Good lookin' gun, too. With my eyes, 40 yards I'd have a tough time seeing that little piece of paper. If it comes down to a fight, I wanna be with some of you guys. ;)
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Damol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 06:17:22 AM »
Thats a nice looking Walker, who made it?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:31:11 AM »
The Walker is made by Armi San Marco in 1986.   I like the fact that ASM got away with the Samuel Colt address on the barrel and the U.S. 1847 stamp above the wedge like the originals had.  I'm sure they only got away with it for short period.  I have an ASM 1860 also and I am really happy with both of them.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 11:38:35 AM »
Went out into the cold to shoot my new Walker today.  Took it down to the ranch and put 2 cylinders at 40g T7 through it ( 1 for me and 1 for my son).   At 40 yards all shots landed on 81/2 x 11 paper.  The range is sixty yards long so we just walked up about twenty yards and fired from there.  I had to use some printer paper taped to a box because I forgot to bring any targets.  After the first two cylinders I loaded it up with 50g T7 and RBs.  It seemed to shoot tighter with the 50g load.   We were standing shooting off hand and had to hold about 6 inches low to be on the middle of the paper.  Wanted to shoot more from the bench but it was cold (25 degrees) and about a 10mph wind.  The wind was cold but bright sunshine helped a lot.  Next time I'll try loading it up full and see what happens.   Also want to get some Old Ensford and see how well I like it in the Walker and my Dragoon.

Hi Mike, that is sure one fine looking revolver! Did the loading lever stay up with those stout loads? At my age, I'm not sure I could lift the Walker.  ;) ;) ;)

I know that ASM had some quality issues before their demise, but from the ASM 1860 and 1851s I once owned, they were the equal if not better than current production Piettas.

Thanks for posting that photo.

Regards.
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »
Richard,   Yes the loading lever stayed up for every shot.  I was quite happy about that.  I had even brought along a piece of latigo to tie it up with.   I purchased/traded for the Walker from a forum member.  He had mentioned that the loading lever stayed up during the limited shooting he had done with it.   I thought the 50g T7 load would surely release the loading lever but it stayed put. 
Thanks to KapundBall for working out a deal with me.  I think I'll probably keep this thing for quite a while.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 08:28:22 PM »
Scooby,
I have trying in vain to my local BP gun shop owner to stock Old Ensford.  He says he has to order 10 pounds at a time and doesn't think he'll sell it fast enough.  For now I have been using Goex mostly and haven't used much of the subs.   I started loading cartridges for my Richards/Mason conversion and 44-40 for my 1892 Winchester with BP.  I think I may have come full circle now and am inclined to stick with Holy black for most of my shooting.   I still like the subs sometimes though and won't eliminate them from my stockpile.   
I probably don't burn half as much powder as you do so buying a case at a time would be a bit much for me.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 04:16:13 AM »
... has to order 10 pounds at a time...

Less than 200 cylinders, what's that, a summers worth of shooting?

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 04:37:41 AM »
Scooby,
I have trying in vain to my local BP gun shop owner to stock Old Ensford.  He says he has to order 10 pounds at a time and doesn't think he'll sell it fast enough.  For now I have been using Goex mostly and haven't used much of the subs.   I started loading cartridges for my Richards/Mason conversion and 44-40 for my 1892 Winchester with BP.  I think I may have come full circle now and am inclined to stick with Holy black for most of my shooting.   I still like the subs sometimes though and won't eliminate them from my stockpile.   
I probably don't burn half as much powder as you do so buying a case at a time would be a bit much for me.

Hi Mike, you can buy Olde Eynsford from Grafs and Sons, see:
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

It costs only $1/lb than straight Goex. I chronographed that powder and found it the equal of Swiss that costs a lot more than Goex. Buying a few pounds of powder minimizes the extra cost issue for the hasmat fee.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 04:52:19 AM »
... has to order 10 pounds at a time...

Less than 200 cylinders, what's that, a summers worth of shooting?

Kevin

If I were keeping track I might have used 1 pound of powder total in 2014.    The BP range nearby is in an insurance dispute with the landlord and has "temporarily" shut down.   I have to drive nearly two hours to get to the ranch where my son has a private range.   Casually going out to shoot is a thing of the past for now.
Now that I'm loading cartridges I might consider ordering a larger quantity.  We'll see how the spring and summer plays out.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 03:36:21 AM »
Mike,

Just joshing a bit at you.

I know the feeling.  I have to drive to the bottom of the state to do any real shooting.  Some ranges nearby but I am not a bench type of guy.

But, I will load up my cartridges and wait for the opportunity to go.  The 45 and 50 Gov't cartridges use a lot of powder in each one.  The 45 long Colt and 44 Colt a bit less, but each one has an appetite.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:48:52 AM »
Kevin,   I sincerely hope to get more shooting in soon.   I'm sure we all hope for more time for fun & games.    I would love to use up 10 pounds of any powder in a few months.   
I acquired a Marlin 45-70 recently and am going load some BP cartridges for it.  That will use up powder in a hurry.   10 pounds may not seem like a lot when I start filling those up.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 03:56:19 AM »
...a Marlin 45-70 recently ...  10 pounds may not seem like a lot when I start filling those up...

Mike,

Depending on a lot of variables, 10 pounds will load between roughly 650 to 1300 rounds of ammunition.  The good news is with cartridges, you can bulk purchase the powder and load it to wait for good shooting conditions.

Kevin

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 05:31:31 AM »
If I had nothing else to do I would have somewhere around 2000 Black powder rounds ready to go.  Between .45 Colt,  44-40, and 45-70.  Ten pounds would be a good amount to start with.    Since time is my biggest limiting factor is time, a purchase of a couple pounds at a time is more likely what I will end up doing.