Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New and improved Cash inline capper  (Read 4722 times)

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
New and improved Cash inline capper
« on: September 23, 2019, 11:43:22 AM »
So I was shooting at the NMLRA Nationals last week when a friend comes by and asks
"Have you seen these?"
"Is that the new Cash capper?"
"Yes" says he.
"No, I haven't"
"They have them over on commercial row.  You can bring your guns in and try them out."
"Cool" says I.  "How much they want?"
"Two for $25"
"How much for one?"
"$12.50" he says.
"Whadda ya want two for?"
"Different brands of caps"
"Ah so"

A little while later I'm sitting behind the line and he comes by and throws one in my lap.
"What's this?"
"Keep it"
"Thanks!"

The new Cash capper is supposed to work with all c&b revolvers, has side loading, and positive retention of the cap in the feed area.

I used it a bit and can report the following.
The good: it worked fine with Rem #11s and RWS.  It worked on an inline caplock, a sidelock, an Uberti .36 1858, a ROA, and an Uberti 1860.  The side load seems easier to use, and I like the way a cap "snaps" into the feed lips when you push the slide follower.

The bad: CCI #11s can tip over inside of it.  Jim reported he couldn't get Rem #10s into his.

The mundane: holds 15 usable caps.  I wouldn't put too much pressure on it to seat the cap as it's still thin brass.  If you need them seated hard that would still be another step.

Fairly inexpensive and seems to work so long as you use a brand of caps it likes.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: New and improved Cash inline capper
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »
Thanks for the review Dave,   I didn't know Ted Cash had a new inline capper model.   

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 04:48:07 PM »
The mundane: holds 15 usable caps.

It must be a real shorty. Only two and a half cylinders worth ain't quite enough.  I've used all types of cappers (except the vaunted Polish version) and have often gone full apoplectic in the field trying to reload those lil-heckers.  I finally trained my fingers for the task of capping cones and life has been much simplified thereby.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 05:30:14 PM »
To be honest, I've follwed in G-Dog's tracks...capping wit' fingers and seating with a dowel rod. The capper I have now is pretty much useless other than for my Hawken but takes longer to load than the gun.
I've heard many Good Things about our Polish friend, but not tried one and they are pricey.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 06:04:13 PM »
Yeah, I have not been impressed with straight line cappers in the past and quit using them years ago.  This one does seem to be an improvement.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 07:16:01 PM »
I saw that Ted Cash had a new capper, over on the SASS site. They were saying the same things you are. Namely that they are size sensitive. I have my Polish Capper and it works well.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Powder Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 04:56:41 AM »
I took a chance and bought the new inline Ted Cash capper with the hopes that it would work. Hard to train my 73 year old shaky fingers that were once steady enough to pull off 1000 meter shots with my sniper rifle. I just could not get a CCI#11 cap on a Pietta 1851 with Ampco cones on it. I finally had to go back to those shaky fingers to get the job done. I have since took the primer flipping tray from my reloading room so that I could flip the caps over in a uniform matter and then I ground down the end of the wife's tweezers so that I could easily grab a cap and slip it onto the cone and then take my short dowel and seated firmly. Also when I loaded up the capper with the CCI #11's and made them slip down in place so that I could insert another cap in the hole, they would flip over. I improvised by placing one cap in the hole and lightly push it back out of the way with a paper clip, just far enough to put another cap in the hole. I did this for all of them until I could then keep them from moving with the spring. All wasted time since I couldn't stick a cap on even one cone though. Maybe it will work on a different cone or a factory cone, I don't know as I have not tried that yet.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 01:07:54 PM »
Powder Burn, you really should look into the Polish Capper. They are kinda pricey at $50-ish. But they work very well, specially for us guys with old, shaky fingers.

I swear by mine.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Powder Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 02:22:34 PM »
Powder Burn, you really should look into the Polish Capper. They are kinda pricey at $50-ish. But they work very well, specially for us guys with old, shaky fingers.

I swear by mine.

I just might do that. I went to the website and it appears that I would need the PCC model for my 1851,1858 and 1860. Does it really support CCI #11 caps since that is what is mostly on the market now?
Can you order it from some place in the States or do we have to order from over the pond?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 05:01:16 PM »
It supports both #10 and #11 caps.

You have to order it direct from the company in Poland. But from my own experience they are great to deal with. And they ship faster than you might believe. From order to having it in my hand, was less than 2 weeks.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 05:34:04 PM »

Offline Powder Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 10:59:42 PM »
Well, figuring that I am already pretty well invested into black powder shooters, if I want to make loading them a happier experience then what I seeing with some of these cappers that don't live up to the task, I put in an order for the Polish Capper. The reviews are sounding pretty positive. Thank you.

edit: Holy cow, got up this morning, checked the pooter and our friend over in Poland has already sent me an email , showing my package with the PCC capper is ready to send. I had ordered two of those little star cappers also and he said he through i an extra one as a gift.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 03:39:42 AM by Powder Burn »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 12:45:27 PM »
Oh yes. The people at Polish Cappers are definitely on the ball.

You won't be disappointed.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Powder Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2020, 01:11:19 PM »
Oh yes. The people at Polish Cappers are definitely on the ball.

You won't be disappointed.
I see that they are on the ball. Shortly after I got the email with the picture of the package being sent, I received another email with tracking that they had already sent it. I got the certified shipping so my Post Office will notify me once it arrives.
I am sure that both my fingers and nerves will appreciate it. I am very impatient so you know how that goes. It's like I told my old boss one time. Every time I try to hurry, I get 3 days behind.

Offline Powder Burn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 07:07:12 AM »
I didn't have much luck with my Ted Cash inline cappers.The #11caps kept flipping over in it and it wouldn't even fit  into the nipple recess on my 51 or 60. I am loving my Polish Capper though. It works as advertised.