Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cartridge Box Blocks  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Ambaryerno

• View Profile
Cartridge Box Blocks
« on: December 29, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »
I recently bought the revolver cartridge box from C&C Sutler. It's a nice little box that can hold quite a few of the wax paper-wrapped cartridge packets from Buffalo Arms. However I also bought Cap and Ball's cartridge former, which came with two of the Colt-style hinged wooden boxes. I like these because they hold the cartridges nice and secure, and offer a bit more support and protection so the envelope doesn't accidentally burst while rattling around. Unfortunately, I can only fit one of those in the belt pouch if I expect to be able to close it again.

The pouch didn't come with a wooden block for holding cartridges, which my understanding was part of the originals. I tried to do a quick search to see if anyone makes the block insert as a separate purchase, but most of what I come up with is vintage boxes that already have their blocks. I THINK the box is big enough that if the block is set up properly (offset rows) it should be able to hold twelve rounds. Is there anyone that makes standalone blocks for these pouches, or would I have to do it myself?

Offline Ambaryerno

• View Profile
Re: Cartridge Box Blocks
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 09:08:28 PM »
Anyone have anything on this?

Let's expand the question: If the original boxes didn't have tins or blocks like the carbine or musket boxes, does anyone know how the revolver boxes WERE filled? Did they just carry a single wood block packet? Or would they cram as many soft packets as it would hold?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 10:06:31 AM »
Hmmm. These are all good questions, that I don't have an answer for. But I would think that making a staggered block for the pouch wouldn't be too difficult.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 04:45:11 PM »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Ambaryerno

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 06:36:06 PM »
Yeah, I saw that video yesterday. Part of the problem is that most of the people making the cartridge packet blocks now make them much too large. The walls are too thick and the drilled holes are oversized. IE the original Sage blocks had .475" holes and rather thin walls. But most people make them using .5" drill bits and thicken the walls correspondingly. As a result, the blocks won't fit the cartridge pouches properly.

I believe the Era's Gone guy made his own blocks for the packets in that video, rather than using the "commercial" blocks. I did find a guy on Etsy who makes reproductions packets with much closer to the correct dimensions (his walls are a little thicker, but the drilled out holes are the right size). They're about 1.5" tall and 3.5" long, which should fit three packets in the pouch. I can keep extras in my possibles bag.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 07:52:24 PM »
Can't find what you want then make your own. I made this one for my Sharps out of a 2X4.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Ambaryerno

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 08:42:10 PM »
Can't find what you want then make your own. I made this one for my Sharps out of a 2X4.

Unfortunately making your own also requires the proper equipment and skill set to do so. I've certainly taught myself a few things (I made my own pair of fencing boots last year based on a 15th century style) so I'm sure I have the ability. It's the means that are my biggest limitation.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 10:03:35 PM »
You guys have got me to thinking. I'm going to try to make one from leather, and make a block for it to hold the cartridges. I'll post it in the leather forum once I get started. This would be a handy thing to have.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 11:46:28 PM »
Unfortunately making your own also requires the proper equipment and skill set to do so. I've certainly taught myself a few things (I made my own pair of fencing boots last year based on a 15th century style) so I'm sure I have the ability. It's the means that are my biggest limitation.

Then your skillset is much better than mine. I rarely make anything that comes out right.

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 05:55:05 AM »
You guys have got me to thinking. I'm going to try to make one from leather, and make a block for it to hold the cartridges. I'll post it in the leather forum once I get started. This would be a handy thing to have.

Look at this.   Could be made any size.     https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,2844.0.html

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 08:50:05 AM »

Look at this.   Could be made any size.     https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,2844.0.html

That's a fantastic design Mike. And the staggered block would make getting the cartridges out much easier.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 11:23:32 AM »
I was just going to suggest you give Mike a shout.

Offline Ambaryerno

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 07:28:38 PM »
Well, I did find a place that was able to sell the blocks in closer to the historical size. Unfortunately the holes are just a little too snug so it's hard to get the cartridges in and out (I really had to pop it against my hand to jar them loose). I'd also need to sand down the ends to actually fit them in my pouch as they're just a hair too long to close the flap.

I could probably use my Dremel to resolve both issues, but what I may end up doing is use the blocks to hold the finished cartridges for the glue to dry and wax to cool after dipping, and then just use soft packets to actually carry them to the range. I'll be able to fit more in the pouch that way, too (maybe at least six loads altogether, possibly more.