Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My new 1851  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
My new 1851
« on: January 22, 2021, 06:47:16 AM »
I want to thank everyone for the information that has been given. I ordered my 1851 from EMF. I ordered online on Friday, Monday a representative called me to confirm my order. The pistol arrived on Wednesday. The friendly service and the quick response was fantastic. I will give this company my business in the future.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: My new 1851
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 09:53:33 AM »
That's a great looking piece Lyle!

Tell us about it. I assume it's a Pietta since it's from EMF.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 10:23:11 AM by ShotgunDave »
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 10:49:47 AM »
It is a Pietta. The fit and finish are good. The only problem I had was trying to remove the wedge. The wedge doesn’t protrude past the barrel to be able to tap it. The spring is past the barrel and hooks on it. I haven’t shot it yet. It has been raining and the temperature is in the upper 60’s. Next week it is supposed to dry out and get back in the 70’s.

I could not believe all the oil that they covered it in. I did a complete dissemble and cleaned out there packing oil. I oiled all the internal parts with LSA and the nipple threads and arbor with Super Lube synthetic grease.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 04:41:22 PM by Lyle »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 10:57:14 AM »
Pietta quality has come a long way. They are very nice guns now, and usually shoot well out of the box.

The wedge will "shoot in" so to speak. After a few cylinder fulls, it will protrude a little more. They are usually hard to get out when the guns are new.

They do encapsulate them in grease, don't they? It's hard to get it all off too. But it's a blessing in disguise. Imagine how long some of these guns sit on a shelf, in humid environments. They'd be a rusty mess if they didn't do that.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 11:19:31 AM »
I did notice that the year production code, in the box, was different than I expected. The number 20 was inside the box and under the barrel was stamped 2020.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 01:10:49 PM »
I think they changed that last year if I'm not mistaken. Instead of a 2 letter date code, they're stamping the last two digits of the year on the frame, and the whole 4 digit year under the barrel. I don't have a gun that new to confirm though.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 01:36:10 PM »
I think they changed that last year if I'm not mistaken. Instead of a 2 letter date code, they're stamping the last two digits of the year on the frame, and the whole 4 digit year under the barrel. I don't have a gun that new to confirm though.

My Uberti Dragoon had a two letter date code and the year stamped on the frame under the trigger guard. I don't know how they're doing them now.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 02:21:58 PM »

The 4 digit number on the underside of the barrel only has to do with the year a run of barrels was created. I have a Pietta 1851 Navy CM/2014 that has a barrel stamp of 2010. Bought it new from Cabela's back in 2014.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 03:22:03 PM »
There you go Lyle. I knew someone more knowledgeable than myself would weigh in.

Thanks guys. I learned something new today!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 06:16:36 PM »
Great lookin revolver my friend. Still I would recommend total disassembly and total removal of shipping grease. Most of this is petroleum preservative and liable to turn into goo upon addition of black powder fouling.

The wedge prolly needs a brass drift and a couple whacks with a medium hammer. Work it   in and out a few times after getting it removed in the first place. Likely the arbor hole has some extra or dried grease in the bottom of the hole.

Good luck with a great revolver. Lookin good
BIGTED

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 03:28:17 AM »
Hello Lyle,

You need a wedge punch, very simple to make.
I have one made from Brass, and also one from Aluminum.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 07:10:34 AM »
Hello Lyle,

You need a wedge punch, very simple to make.
I have one made from Brass, and also one from Aluminum.

AntiqueSledMan.

Great idea! I wish I had the skill and the tools to be able to make that. I used a penny and a 16 oz hammer.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 07:34:06 AM »
Hi Lyle, that's one nice looking 1851's. That's a nice looking grip for a Pietta. Congratulations, I look forward to your shooting report.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 11:30:21 AM »
Hi Lyle, that's one nice looking 1851's. That's a nice looking grip for a Pietta. Congratulations, I look forward to your shooting report.

Regards,
Richard

I was in hope to get out this weekend. It has been cold and rainy since it arrived. Only 65 today and in the 50’s tomorrow. Rain is in the forecast until February 1st. The temperature should be back to the upper 60’s or lower 70’s by then. I will be happy to give a range report!