Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pyrodex?  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
Pyrodex?
« on: February 08, 2021, 12:32:44 PM »
Along with my purchase of the Pietta 1860 Army, I also got from the gent 1 full pound of Pyrodex "P" and another half empty lb. I know nothing about Pyrodex. Is it OK to shoot? He said he could not get black powder, and when I checked online sites every one seems to be out of real black powder. If this stuff is OK I'd like to use it up.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
Re: Pyrodex?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 12:53:58 PM »
Hello Bob,

You can shoot the stuff.
It is pretty corrosive, so give it a good cleaning afterwards.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 12:54:41 PM »
thank you!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 02:37:28 PM »
No more corrosive than real black. Just clean the same way you would for bp and it will be ok.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 02:48:52 PM »
A lot of people talk down on Pyrodex. But it's been around for a long time. I have used it a lot, and still do on occasion. Just like with real BP, clean your gun fairly soon after shooting it, and you won't have a problem.

I will say his though, it is slower igniting than real BP. But in a revolver, I haven't ever had a problem. Burn it up and enjoy shooting your Army pistol! (@+
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 03:57:09 PM »
Thank you, gents. All Ive ever used is 2F in my Great Plains. I'll use up what I have and let you know what I think about it.
Bob

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 09:09:34 AM »
I have only used pyrodex in my navy 36. I have not found any bp locally. It is the same volume measurement as bp. My powder flask spout measures 24 grains. If I had a 44 I would find a 30 grain spout.

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 08:10:57 PM »
Thank you Lyle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 08:40:13 PM »
Bob, I've burned a ton of Pyrodex, both P in my pistols and revolvers and RS in my rifle (Lyman Trade Rifle). I've experienced no issues with it, other than you need to clean your guns the same day you shoot 'em and oil the clean metal well,  afterwards. You'll find the Army will generally take between 30 and 35gr behind a .454 round ball, a bit less if you're gonna try to shoot conicals (generally 30 grains or so). There were some (IMHO unfounded) theories and rumors running around the 'net a few years back about Pyrodex causing "micro-pits" in some high end barrels, but for your garden variety Pietta it will do just fine. One thing about Pyrodex; it's non-progressive fouling, which means it won't continue to build up worse and worse fouling as you shoot. You will generally get through a complete shooting session without anything needed beside an occasional wipe down. Cleanup is easy and simple with warm, soapy water as with Black Powder.
One thing; store Pyro in the original container and keep it tightly sealed. Humidity will weaken it over time. I'd try out a few shots with the open container, then compare them to some from the fresh container. If there is a notable difference in sound, recoil, and bullet placement on paper, you might be better dumping it in the flower bed.
Hope this helps.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 08:15:03 AM »
A lot of people talk down on Pyrodex. But it's been around for a long time. I have used it a lot, and still do on occasion. Just like with real BP, clean your gun fairly soon after shooting it, and you won't have a problem.

I will say his though, it is slower igniting than real BP. But in a revolver, I haven't ever had a problem. Burn it up and enjoy shooting your Army pistol! (@+

It will shoot ok in a revolver or cap lock rifle. Works poorly in a flintlock
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 12:57:03 PM »
It will make a percussion Sharps sound like a poorly timed flintlock.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 01:08:09 PM »
Hi, even match heads will work for a powder in a caped firearm. However, the results will be inconsistent. Just because a Pryodex load will go bang doesn't mean that the load is consistent with any other Pryodex loading. Consistency is important to consistent accuracy. In the interest of good accuracy, all available loose Pryodex should be poured down the nearest drain. Other substitutes are consistent, but not Pryodex.

Before the Pryodex supporting members here go crazy and want my head, I must admit that the Pryodex pellet boosted by a small charge of BP is the most energetic loading one can get for a BP revolver.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 03:45:47 PM »
With the shortages currently being experienced, I would just shoot up the opened container; practice your grip, aim, etc. With that said, I have never shot any Pyrodex or other sub in any of my guns. I have an unopened container of Pyrodex RS and one of AP fffg powder.

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »
Thanks gents for the replies. SSB, I take it you are not a fan of Pyrodex. Mazo Kid, yes I agree that as hard as it is to get powder these days I should just shoot it up. I have seen Pyrodex and other subs at the local gun store but not real black powder for some time. I do have several pounds of ffg that I use in my Great Plains but I have heard ffg is not really recommended for revolvers as it produces lower velocities.
Bob.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 11:55:03 PM »
Thanks gents for the replies. SSB, I take it you are not a fan of Pyrodex. Mazo Kid, yes I agree that as hard as it is to get powder these days I should just shoot it up. I have seen Pyrodex and other subs at the local gun store but not real black powder for some time. I do have several pounds of ffg that I use in my Great Plains but I have heard ffg is not really recommended for revolvers as it produces lower velocities.
Bob.

I use FFG and Pyrodex RS in revolvers. You won't notice the difference.