Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: How to make percussion cap #10 or #11 cups without a die.  (Read 11587 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
How to make percussion cap #10 or #11 cups without a die.
« on: March 03, 2021, 03:15:07 PM »
use .003 thickness copper foil I found at a craft store.  I stamp out 1/2 inch disk with a hole punch.  I use a drill press to shape the cups.  I mounted a drill bit in the drill chuck with the shank downward..  my cap forming die is made of a suitable hard wood.  Oak or very hard pine board 3/8 inch x 2 in by 6 inches.  The dimensions are not so important .  I drilled a hole in the center of the board with a bit matching  the  OD diameter of a #11 cap and one the OD of a #10 cap .
Use a 1/2 inch bit to drill a counter sink cone on each hole.  Clamp this board to your drill table so that one of the holes is aligned with the reversed bit. Next center one of the copper disk over the hole.  Slowly lower the drill without power. Slowly  push the disk into the hole to form a small copper cup.   The disk are really 7/16 but works better than 1/2 inch disk.
  To improve the wooden Die I sanded the cone with fine sand paper to make the entry smooth.  I also took a needle file and filed 8 wedge shaped indention in the cone and around the inside of the hole. This is to provide relief for folds to form on the cup.   

The craft store has copper foil 12/ 30 inches ,  .003 or .005 thickness. 
I’ve been satisfied with the results.
 Pop can aluminum works. It is much more ridged. A little case lube helps. The copper is more malleable.  Aluminum has more failures as the punch tears though the base for me about 25% of the tries. You get 90% of the copper for useable cups.  Some are off center, but seem to work. 
  As how to charge the primers. There are better sources than me.  Sharpshooters is a place to start.  I’ve been using an old stash of ring caps.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:46:59 AM by DragoonRick »

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Re: How to make percussion cap #10 or #11 cups without a die.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 03:46:45 PM »
More information a photo of the caps on a revolver. They fit snugly. A board with two holes one #10 and one #11 size  not precise but fit the pistol. Id call that board a “charging board”
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:46:13 AM by DragoonRick »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 04:30:07 PM »
That's a damn good idea! Thanks for posting this.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 06:12:55 PM »
Agreed!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 06:51:20 AM »
I was wondering what to do with that silly Drill Press that just sits there.... now somebody want to send me copper foil??  (jh
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 07:11:09 AM »
Very informative, DragoonRick

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 04:47:03 AM »
I was not clear about the small board in the photo on the table. It has two forming holes . One larger one smaller. I use those th final shape the caps by pushing the cup through the hole with a suitable  hex wrench or screw driver that’s been cut off. One hole fits #11 the other fits #10. Push the cap through on a flat surface th make a proper flat round base.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:49:08 AM by DragoonRick »

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »
Great idea DragoonRick.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 08:27:29 PM »
I hope some of you try this process out. I’m learning as I go.  The 7/16 disk which come from the 1/2 inch hole punch are Very good and. Fit the revolver, but with a plastic ring cap inserted there is not enough space to fit the revolver nipple. I’ve moved up to a 9/16 hole punch which really is a better size, but the red ring caps are not easily adapted .  I’m going to try the strike anywhere matches next. Then the role caps which seem underpowered. Last I’m going to try the sharpshooter product.  There are many ways to prime the caps. I’m looking for a reliable and easily repeatable process.
  Please report any results.
Rick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 11:01:59 AM »
Thanks for your info on this Rick. Looks like something to try out!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 06:19:48 PM »
I bought a cap forming die set similar to the old Tap-a-cap set but haven't gotten a round-tuit making any caps yet. I have heard that aluminum pie plates work well, so will include that material when I find my round tuit. *6'

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 02:07:37 PM »
Thanks, DragoonRick, for posting this! I was in the process of formulating something similar until I bought the latest cap maker. It works well, but my feeling is the caps come out a little short. Now I will go back to experimenting with something along the lines that you are doing. Your information will get me off to a good start, so many thanks!!!
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 06:17:00 PM »
I hope some of you try this process out. I’m learning as I go.  The 7/16 disk which come from the 1/2 inch hole punch are Very good and. Fit the revolver, but with a plastic ring cap inserted there is not enough space to fit the revolver nipple. I’ve moved up to a 9/16 hole punch which really is a better size, but the red ring caps are not easily adapted .  I’m going to try the strike anywhere matches next. Then the role caps which seem underpowered. Last I’m going to try the sharpshooter product.  There are many ways to prime the
caps. I’m looking for a reliable and easily repeatable process.  Please report any results. Rick
Rick, I have heard of some who added some ffffg powder over the roll caps, held in place with a bit of hair spray to increase the brissance.

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 04:18:23 PM »
I’ve learned to insert the ring caps at the same time as forming the cap.I’m using ring caps I bought up to 20 years ago. The red plastic deteriorated but the charge is strong as ever.  New ring caps are hard to insert and to weak to fire a revolver.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:51:02 AM by DragoonRick »

Offline Bob Dwyer

• New Old Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 05:04:10 PM »
That's a pretty nifty trick, Mr. Dragoonrick! Thank you for sharing!
Bob