Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1859 Sharps Percussion Carbine  (Read 4698 times)

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
1859 Sharps Percussion Carbine
« on: March 05, 2021, 03:32:08 AM »
I have what I believe to be a 1859 Sharps Percussion Carbine reproduction - there are no visible markings so I'm thinking it might be a kit gun.

Anyway I have been reading and reviewing videos about loading for these guns using both loose powder and the preferred method paper cartridges which prompts my following question - could you use the Pyrodex pellets in these guns i.e. insert projectile, insert Pyrodex pellet, close block, insert percussion cap , cock and fire.

And yes I know what I am asking is sacrilege for you worshippers of the holy black but inquiring minds do want to know? L@J

Thanks, Retreever

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: 1859 Sharps Percussion Carbine
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 05:09:23 AM »
Pyrodex is is hard to ignite compared to BP.  I would think you will have ignition problems with loose Pyrodex and it would be even worse with the paper carts or pellets.    I had a Sharps percussion rifle and never had ignition problems with BP but you have to keep the spark channel clean no matter what powder you are using.    A small charge of BP on to of the Pyrodex might help ignition.    There was a old fellow here that used a BP starter charge on top of Pyrodex pellets in his '58 Remingtons.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 07:31:12 AM »
I'm a firm believer in Pyrodex with percussion guns but with a Sharps it's just not going to work. I had a 63 Sharps. I tried loose Pyrodex and it was like firing a poorly timed flintlock. Pop...Boom but it did fire every time. I doubt it would have fired at all with pellets. I went to Swiss powder and firing was instantaneous. A Sharps firing channel is long with two turns. Fire has to travel from the nipple and halfway down the breech block. Pyrodex isn't going to cut it no matter what you do.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 10:05:02 AM »
Hi Hawg, did I ever tell you that I hate Pryodex? lol

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 10:34:50 AM »

Regards,
Richard

Only seven thousand eleventy seven times but that's ok. (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 11:37:11 AM »

Regards,
Richard
"Hate" is such a strong word, Richard... (7+"
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 02:23:14 PM »
I have a 63 and use paper cartridges exclusively in it. They work every time. You do need to use quality caps on it too. The CCI Re-enactor caps are terrible. They are severely underpowered and the spark has a helluva time negotiating the turns in the breech block. Get the RWS brand if you can find them. I doubt the CCI caps will ever set off a charge of Pyrodex. Loose or pellet.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 04:04:46 PM »
I have a 63 and use paper cartridges exclusively in it. They work every time. You do need to use quality caps on it too. The CCI Re-enactor caps are terrible. They are severely underpowered and the spark has a helluva time negotiating the turns in the breech block. Get the RWS brand if you can find them. I doubt the CCI caps will ever set off a charge of Pyrodex. Loose or pellet.

RWS will set off loose Pyrodex but it hang fires on every shot. They're what I use. I doubt they will set off pellets.

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 04:57:30 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone, sounds like resounding no for Pyrodex pellets at least in this instance. Dave, thanks for the tip on the caps this is my first percussion rifle. I think I'll go with my original plan and use paper cartridges with black powder,

Retreever

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 10:20:48 AM »
Glad to help Retreever. Didn't want you to waste your money.

We'd love to see the rifle if you can get a chance to snap a pic or two.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 12:45:54 AM »
Ask and ye shall receive.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 06:23:23 AM »
That's an 1863 business or sporting rifle. The forearm tip has been cut for a poured pewter nose cap. I'm not sure what to call it. Sporting rifles are usually checkered and have double triggers. Business rifles aren't usually cut for a pewter tip. I'm leaning towards business rifle.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 12:19:06 PM »
That is a really beauty Retreever. I love it.

I have to concur with Hawg. It's an 1863 Business rifle. Mine is a Sporting, and the only difference is mine is checkered and has double set triggers.

The big difference between the 59 and 63 is the lack of patch box on the stock of the 63.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
Re: 1863 Sharps Percussion Carbine
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 08:37:52 AM »
Thanks Hawg and SD , 1863 it is , found out on another forum that based on markings this is apparently a kit gun by Cape Outfitters Importing-Cape Giradeau. MO

After looking at the close up pics I could see there was some faint markings on one side of the barrel near the action. Now I'm researching how to pout that forearm cap - I have a small quantity of pewter.

Retreever

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 09:30:33 AM »
Can't wait to hear your shooting report. You're gonna love it. I know I love mine.
-Abe Lincoln