Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1859 Sharps Percussion Carbine  (Read 4690 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: 1859 Sharps Percussion Carbine
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 12:18:06 PM »
I poured nose and butt caps for a couple of pistols. It's not that hard to do. I'm sure if you did a search you could find info.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 12:24:00 PM »
Here ya go, this is my first one. Scroll down to the bottom for a description of how I did it.
https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,872.msg6673.html#msg6673

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 06:27:15 AM »
Here ya go, this is my first one. Scroll down to the bottom for a description of how I did it.
https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,872.msg6673.html#msg6673

Thanks Mazo, much appreciated.

Retreever

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »
Ok, so finally got the fore end tip poured and finished , added the Pedersoli Sharps Rear Ladder sight and finished making up some paper cartridges - so off to the range tomorrow. Lube is Olive Oil and Beeswax not honey like I said in the video.

Retreever

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 11:55:59 AM »
Looks great!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 12:05:05 PM »
Great little video Retreever! And the rifle looks fantastic! Awesome job on the forend tip.

I have a question for you. Just curious why you put such a light charge in your cartridges. I put 75gn in mine.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 12:55:02 PM »
Great little video Retreever! And the rifle looks fantastic! Awesome job on the forend tip.

I have a question for you. Just curious why you put such a light charge in your cartridges. I put 75gn in mine.

Nice job on the nose cap. I used 80 grains with no wad or card. I also lube the bullets after the cartridge was put together. 80 grains and a 490 grain bullet was a perfect fit.

This is the bullet I used.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 11:58:20 AM »

Hi Dave, I went light on the powder because it was the first time shooting the rifle so just exercising a little caution but after seeing your comment and others I will bump up the load next time around.

Thanks, Roger

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2021, 12:05:05 PM »
Range Day Update: Took my reproduction 1863 Sharps Percussion to the range for the first time yesterday , fired the first paper cartridge and she seized up solid. When I got home about 2 hours later I had no problem operating the action. Is this a typical problem with these and is there a fix?

I posted this to a Sharps group I am a member of and several folks suggested this was not untypical and recommended making sure I keep the action well lubricated with my olive oil and beeswax mixture. So I have done that and worked the action a bunch today while it sits on the bench, back to the range tomorrow morning.

Retreever

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2021, 12:38:38 PM »
I figured that might have been why you went light with the charge. Nothing wrong with working up to the max.

I have never had the problem of the gun locking up on mine. But mine is a Pedersoli. Does yours have the floating chamber like the Pedersoli guns?

You do have to keep the breech block greased up good in the paper cutter guns. Lots if gas blow-by that binds things up. If yours has the floating chamber, that could be the cause of the problem. If it gets sticky and sticks out, it could bind the gun up.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2021, 03:01:59 PM »
Mine was an IAB and it never locked up on me. It held 110 grains of loose powder with the bullet shown above. I used 100 grains a few times. The only problem with using that much powder was excessive flash out of the receiver. it was hella accurate with it tho. It's funny, 80 grains was very accurate, 90 grains was all over the place, 100 was better than 80.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 08:47:43 AM »
UPDATE - Sunday range visit with the rifle , this time I lubed the action with Olive Oil/Beeswax but I still need a little spritz of Ballistol after each shot to get the action to open. I shot 12 rounds at 25 yards and was very happy with the accuracy - 2 x 5 rounds 1" groups. I guess I just will need to keep shooting it till it wears in - its almost like the heat from the fired round causes something swell.

Retreever

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 08:50:04 AM »
I figured that might have been why you went light with the charge. Nothing wrong with working up to the max.

I have never had the problem of the gun locking up on mine. But mine is a Pedersoli. Does yours have the floating chamber like the Pedersoli guns?

You do have to keep the breech block greased up good in the paper cutter guns. Lots if gas blow-by that binds things up. If yours has the floating chamber, that could be the cause of the problem. If it gets sticky and sticks out, it could bind the gun up.

Thanks Dave, found out about the 'floating chamber' when researching I don't think my gun has one , the markings on the barrel say Cape Outfitters and someone told me at one point it might be a kit gun.

Roger

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 11:02:08 AM »
Maybe try a synthetic lubricant like Mobile 1 on it. I know it makes a world of difference on the revolvers.

I use grease in mine. I think it works better than liquid lubes. It stays where it belongs better.

You could also maybe try some valve lapping compound. Put a little in the action and cycle it a bunch of times. Then clean it out really good and lube it up. Might free it up a little more.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2021, 11:07:01 AM »
From what I found Cape Outfitters was an importer of IAB and ArmiSport. IAB does not have a floating chamber. ArmiSport does. Due to the inletting for a poured nose cap I would say it was a kit gun.