Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The Beals revolver  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
The Beals revolver
« on: March 11, 2021, 12:34:04 PM »
The predecessor to the revolver currently known as the "1858 Remington" (which is in itself an anomaly as the model in it's current configuration was not introduced until late American Civil War...1863...by Eliphalet Remington & Sons) was the Beals revolver, patented in 1858 by Fordyce Beals. There are numerous differences between the Beals revolver and the "1858 Remington" we have come to know and love...some glaringly obvious, others more subtle, as we shall see. The most obvious were as follows:

*Few (if any) barrel threads visible between the frame and cylinder mating area; generally less than two, as the relief are is mostly square on the Beals, and arched on the Remington. On some reproductions, more than others.

*Visibly different loading lever, with very little "sail" material showing on the Beals, and the sides of the lever itself squared off compared to the Remington's round lever cross section and blended contour sail material.

*No safety notches in between chambers on the Beals, compared to the ones present on the Remington version.

Like the later model Remington's, the Beals was available in the standard .36 caliber Navy version as well as the .44 caliber Army version and incorporated the sliding cylinder pin and frame top strap that the Remington NMA is known for.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 11:55:30 AM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: The Beals revolver
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 01:03:35 PM »
Great information Capt. Specially for a guy like me, that knows next to nothing about Remingtons and even less about Beals.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 01:56:32 PM »
Great information Capt. Specially for a guy like me, that knows next to nothing about Remingtons and even less about Beals.

I must concur. I have been saving every link I come across about 1858 Remington and Remington Beals revolver. I am sorta like Shotgun Dave: I handled/shot one many years ago and did not care for the grip/TG relationship as it beat upon my middle finger every shot, so I basically relegated them to the extreme back burner.

I know you are very well versed with these guns and should have come to you for advice. Instead, I relied upon a guy on another forum whom I consider to be very knowledgeable concerning many BP C&B revolvers. I have a photo he posted showing the difference between the Beals frame and the 1858 Remington frame which I took as gospel in my ignorance.

It is kind of tough being a noob again.  ;)

Thanks for the threads, Kirk!

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 02:50:07 PM »
I saw somewhere awhile back that Navy Arms coined the name 1858 back in 1960 when they imported the first 58's. I don't know what those first revolvers looked like as far as barrel threads. Sourdough it wasn't just Beals revolvers. The older repros were closer in size to originals than anything made now. My old Rigarmi made in 69 is a real knuckle rapper. The grips are small and slender like the originals.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 05:29:49 PM »
I must concur. I have been saving every link I come across about 1858 Remington and Remington Beals revolver. I am sorta like Shotgun Dave: I handled/shot one many years ago and did not care for the grip/TG relationship as it beat upon my middle finger every shot, so I basically relegated them to the extreme back burner.

Jim, you might find, as many of us have, that the only way to comfortably shoot the Remington is to do the "pinky curl" (pinky finger curled UNDER the grip) which allows the index finger to drop on the grip a bit and give it some breathing room. Hawg is absolutely spot-on in saying the older Navy Arms (and other) imoprts were much closer to the original size than the later repros. Some have opined that the hands of the average sized man back in the cap & ball era were noticeably smaller than today. If you compare a Pietta Remington repro to an earlier import you can see the physical size difference and feel the difference in weight as well.

I know you are very well versed with these guns and should have come to you for advice. Instead, I relied upon a guy on another forum whom I consider to be very knowledgeable concerning many BP C&B revolvers. I have a photo he posted showing the difference between the Beals frame and the 1858 Remington frame which I took as gospel in my ignorance.

You will notice in his photos that the cylinder shows quite plainly the cylinder safety notches...which are very noticeably absent from the Beals photos on the "interwebs". The three things I mentioned (loading lever & sail, barrel threads/squared off frame lug, and safety notches) would be critical components of a Beals replica...which in all honesty, I've never seen so can't say if anyone EVER made one. However, I have it on good authority that someone we know is gonna give it a try. L@J

It is kind of tough being a noob again.  ;)

Don't be so hard on yourself. One of the reasons forums like this exist is so that enthusiasts like ourselves can learn, research and share information among ourselves and with the rest of the world. You are only a noob until you start learning. Right about now you probably know more about the Beals revolver than most enthusiasts will ever learn.  (7&

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 06:10:43 PM »
1858 Beals "Navy" revolver

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 06:15:32 PM »
Here is another Beals Navy revolver. This one at first glance appears to have a high content of nickel in the frame, causing the plum-colored bluing (or it's been re-blued with modern cold "plum" browning solution)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 06:19:43 PM »
I've learned more about Remingtons on the Colt site, then I ever did on the Remington site.  L@J
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 06:21:40 PM »
Here is an "Army" version (.44 cal) Beals

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 06:26:07 PM »
Funny thing, I've said it many times that I don't care for the Remington revolver. Never have. But I sure do like the Beals. Maybe it's that ugly, useless webbing hanging down under the loading lever. The Beals has a nice sleek look to it. Much less ungainly than a Remington.

Might have to look for a beater Remmy to convert to a Beals, ala Navy to Dance. Hmmmm.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 06:27:01 PM »
Here are some of the martial markings from a military issued Beals

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 06:30:09 PM »
This photo clearly shows the lack of safety notches on a Beals.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 05:51:48 AM »
Hi, My Euroarms "Beals" has safety notches. Do I smell a lawyer?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!