Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Unboxing a new 51 Navy  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
Unboxing a new 51 Navy
« on: April 29, 2021, 03:54:15 PM »
I bought a new 1851 .36 cal navy made by Pietta. Wildcard is the name they put on this one. I would like to put pics up when I learn how. Any how They did such a nice job on this one that it's a sham that they don't finish all their guns like this one. The only place they messed  up was the grips, they're so sharp in places that I just don't like them at all, and in some spots the brass rides high above the grips. All the brass on this one has a fine finish on it even down under the TG. I will be putting a nice pair of wood grips on this one and toss the stag looking ones in a box of scrap parts. I wanted another one to match this one but as you all know nobody has anything in stock. I did put a link to a picture of one just below if you want to take a look at them. If they would finish all their bp revolvers like this one it would be hard to keep them in stock anytime. Welp here is a pic of one.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022017289?pid=934602

I'm thinking a pair of wood grips off of a brass frame may do the trick even if I haft to refinish them.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: Unboxing a new 51 Navy
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 05:05:24 PM »
For years, Pietta grips on their 1851 Navies has been poor, especially where the wood meets the rear of the frame. It is always "proud".

I don't know what the date code of your revolver is, but be aware that there are at least 3 different Pietta gripframe profiles. The latest profile started in 2015 (datecode CN). The earlier ones have a completely different gripframe profile, and parts between them are not interchangeable. As a 3-piece gripframe set (trigger guard, backstrap, and wood) they will fit any Pietta 1851/1860/1861 frame with no modifications, no matter the datecode.

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,3474.0.html

Regards,

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 05:27:49 PM »
Congratulations on finding one in stock!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 10:16:27 PM »
it looks good. No grips even from the same style grip frame will fit without work. Sometimes they can't even be made to fit. Pietta grips have sucked since the early 80's, especially on Remingtons.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 08:43:17 AM »
Nice, Dell! Looks like a keeper to me!  (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 09:13:12 AM »
Under the loading leaver it's got 2020 stamped on it. They did leave the writing on the sides. If it wasn't for that you would have a real nice peace of blued finish on there. This is not going to be a unused peace at all. When I'm able to post pics I will. First I want to find out how wall it dose on paper and tin cans.