Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Colt to Mauser blade  (Read 1578 times)

Offline remington1858

• View Profile
Colt to Mauser blade
« on: May 21, 2021, 09:52:34 PM »
Gents,

My revolver had some serious issues that I fixed but the most noteworthy was the use of a Mauser front sight blade to replace a canted front sight slot. Long story short. The base of the barrel was not flat where it mates up with the frame pins. Barrel was visibly canted to the left. To cover the problem the factory cut the front sight slot canted to make up for it. Looked and shot terrible. I fixed the barrel alignment and cut a dovetail through the front blade slot, but level with the frame. Mauser sight was sitting on my bench so I fit it in. Height is perfect and it covers the slot. Also adjustable now. Cons: it isn’t period correct now. I would only recommend this fix to cover a canted slot.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Colt to Mauser blade
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 11:39:42 AM »
That's a great solution to that particular problem. And actually it's not unlike some period guns. There are a lot of original guns out there with dovetailed front sights. You also have the advantage now of drift adjustable windage. You did a great job.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline remington1858

• View Profile
Re: Colt to Mauser blade
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 04:22:32 PM »
That's a great solution to that particular problem. And actually it's not unlike some period guns. There are a lot of original guns out there with dovetailed front sights. You also have the advantage now of drift adjustable windage. You did a great job.

Thanks, figured someone might have a similar problem.