Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Problem  (Read 6602 times)

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Problem
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 07:33:35 AM »
OK, on the two chambers that don't work. When the hammer goes to full cock does it feel like there's some resistance when it should go into full cock?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Doc Holiday

• Too many hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2021, 08:27:19 AM »
OK, on the two chambers that don't work. When the hammer goes to full cock does it feel like there's some resistance when it should go into full cock?
I would say No, no resistance.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
FREE MATT HOOVER.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 08:37:58 AM »
And there's no hammer overtravel on the four that do work? It doesn't go into full cock until the hammer has reached the end of its travel?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Doc Holiday

• Too many hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 08:45:36 AM »
And there's no hammer overtravel on the four that do work? It doesn't go into full cock until the hammer has reached the end of its travel?
It does not go into full dock until the hammer reaches the end of its travel on the 4 properly working chambers.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
FREE MATT HOOVER.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2021, 09:14:22 AM »
My guess is the hand is a smidge too long. You can send it back or enter the field of gunsmithing sooner than you expected. :-H

Offline Doc Holiday

• Too many hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2021, 09:51:15 AM »
Well, I figure there is always one chamber I leave empty....I'll make sure it's one of the two.
And the other one, I'll make it cock by manipulating the trigger. Perhaps after a bunch of shooting, cleaning, reassembly cycles, it may wear in. If not, at some point I will take just a tiny bit off the hand.
I will not allow this to stop me from enjoying the revolver.
It will however stop me from buying another Pietta. In the future, if I can't afford the Uberti version of what I want, I won't buy it.
I did notice a difference in quality between my Uberti 1951 Navy and this Pietta 1860 Army. Not including  this issue.....little things like machining, finishing, smoothness and fitment.
I know some will disagree. And you are entitled to your opinion.
Other brands through years I have black listed for my use include Kimber, High Standard (when they were made by Mitchell Arms in Texas), and Kahr.
― Thomas Jefferson
FREE MATT HOOVER.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2021, 12:43:45 PM »
Other brands through years I have black listed for my use include Kimber, High Standard (when they were made by Mitchell Arms in Texas), and Kahr.

If your next 1860 Army is purchased new, you had better put Uberti on your blacklist unless you enjoy fixing the short arbor and slicking up the internals.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Doc Holiday

• Too many hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 12:55:28 PM »

If your next 1860 Army is purchased new, you had better put Uberti on your blacklist unless you enjoy fixing the short arbor and slicking up the internals.

Regards,

Jim

I understand what you are saying, Jim.
But my new purchased Uberti 1851 Navy.....if it has the short arbor issue, it has not presented a problem to me.
― Thomas Jefferson
FREE MATT HOOVER.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2021, 01:16:40 PM »
You will probably find out down the road when you start having wedge issues.
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Doc Holiday

• Too many hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2021, 01:34:41 PM »
You will probably find out down the road when you start having wedge issues.

OK.....time will tell.
― Thomas Jefferson
FREE MATT HOOVER.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2021, 08:10:03 PM »
Was this gun purchased used? Has it been worked on previously? It sounds like a hand length issue, but long range diagnosis is difficult at best! L@J It might only take a couple of file strokes on the hand to get things right. I wouldn't let this taint your view of the Pietta guns; they outnumber Uberti in my collection probably 2-1 and I have never had any such problems (knock on wood!). The bottom line is....it should be an easy repair to make.

Offline Doc Holiday

• Too many hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2021, 03:48:31 AM »
Thanks mazo.
It was purchased brand new.
I know I shouldn't let this poison me for Pietta. Perhaps I'll get over it.
If a few cycles of use and cleaning and re-assembly does not change anything I will take a few swipes off the hand and see what that produces.
― Thomas Jefferson
FREE MATT HOOVER.

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2021, 04:12:46 AM »
I've had a lot of Pietta's and the only bad experience I've had with them was the cutting tool left a ridge in the hand slot on a G&G. The gun worked fine when I got it but the first time I took it apart the hand spring caught on it and broke when I put it back together.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2021, 07:49:22 AM »
Mike (Goon) suggests hand/ratchet burr issues. I would take this seriously as he can probably take down, repair/fit parts and reassemble the gun blindfolded!  Good luck on getting the gun up and running.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2021, 09:06:29 AM »
 (7+".   Thanks Mazo !!

I'd bet it's a too long hand. Works for 4 but not 2.  That would be a tollerance in the ratchet issue. You could correct the two teeth or just shorten the hand some. I also suspect the timing is probably late  (bolt needs to drop earlier .  .  .  at least a bolt width in front of the locking notch).

As far as the short arbor in the Uberti .  .  .   it is.  You haven't had any problems so far  but the point is , you'll never have the same setup from assembly to re-assembly (even shot to shot). There again it's a tollerance thing .  .  .  you may never have a "problem"  (that depends on charge, bullet wt.  and how often)  but I know you can lock it up by driving the wedge in all the way (proof of a short arbor).  Nobody is trying to "smart" to you, but it's just the open top design. There's a right way (Pietta pretty much fixed there's a decade ago) and then there's all the others ever made since the originals.

Mike