Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New to Blackpowdersmoke.com  (Read 9187 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New to Blackpowdersmoke.com
« on: June 25, 2021, 02:57:04 PM »
New guy here. Name: Tim. Pseudonym: Zulch.
Absolutely new to black powder cap and ball. Interest began about 9 months ago.
Purchased first revolver back in November 2020. an old Uberti (1963) 1851 Navy.
Next purchase a new Uberti 1847 Walker third purchase a new Uberti 1858 Remington.
I have a Pietta 1851 Navy on the way from Jedediah Starr. I have yet to shoot the pistol.
I have read copious amounts of information just to educate myself. I have 5 lbs of Goex FFF,
1000 pecussion caps 10s and 11s, a few hundred .357 and.454 RB's, a lot of cleaning supplies,
 waiting on a field flask (Jedediah Starr), have have 4 treso spouts 15, 120, 25, 30. Ido not have
any stainless steel nipples as suggested to replace factory the factory nipples. So why haven't I shot
any black powder? Good question. I am just slow to start anything LOL. I appreciate you reading my
introduction and if you have time to offer a "new guy" any advice please feel welcome. My intention
is to just have fun at the range and learn more about these old beautiful revolvers. I want to also invest
in making my own RB's. I've recently purchased some felt from Asha at Durofelt for wad making,
also some hollow punches. I am cheap by nature. If anyone has some time thy could loan me I would
appreciate that very much. Life is very busy so this is my relaxing hobby, just don't seem to have
enough time? Can anyone relate to that. Thanks again for taking time to read this.
Thank you,
Tim (New Guy)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: New to Blackpowdersmoke.com
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 03:15:29 PM »
Welcome aboard Zulch!

You've come to the right place for BP C&B help, information and camaraderie. It looks like the bug had bit you pretty hard, judging by the guns and gear you have already acquired. Be forewarned, you have decided to travel down a slippery slope! It only gets worse (or better depending on your view) from here!

If you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

Once again, welcome to Colt Country!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 03:59:24 PM »
Thank you Shotgun Dave for the warm welcome. I thank ya kindly. I hail from GA, but don't hold that uhgin me. ($! Just kidding. 61 years old and found some new toys. I believe you my friend. I have got the BUG for sure. I always loved the spaghetti westerns and Josey of course. Always marvelled at those revolvers used. It was the strangest thing that happened...I don't even know where the idea came from. To buy these revolvers. It was like something happened? I'm serious. Have no idea why or how it happend as I am not av avid shooter. I own some cartridge pistols but mostly they just sit there. Maybe I was looking for some 40 cal cartridges on gunbroker?? Maybe I saw a revolver? Anyway, I have to stop buying pistols for awhile and shoot what I have. Obsessive? Maybe so. Anyway, I can be longwinded to so I'll stop here.
Thanks again for the post and reply. It feels like I have come home.
Tim

Offline Doc Holiday

• Too many hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 04:01:32 PM »
Welcome!
Happy to have you join us.
Me thinks you're gonna love it here.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
FREE MATT HOOVER.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 04:26:41 PM »
Thanks Doc. Awesome alias by the way!! I'm already having fun.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 05:10:29 AM by Zulch »

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 04:38:45 PM »
Welcome to the site. We have a good group of guys here.

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 04:45:02 PM »
welcome to the forum, and greetings from remote Alaska
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 07:52:29 PM »
It's hard to say where the urge to get BP guns comes from Zulch. I'm just glad it comes!

And don't you worry about being long winded. We like conversation around here, so talk away!!!

And yes, you are home indeed.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 07:58:36 PM »
Well, it's about time you got here, Tim! The coffee was gettin' cold and the beans, too. Kick off your shoes and join us by the fire!
There are plenty of good folks here besides myself that will be more than willing to help get you started. I love your story about how the black powder bug bit you on the ankle. It happens that way, sometime...it's your American history calling out to you. No question is too silly or obscure to ask...many of us grew up in BP with no internet or even a good resource of books to help guide us...we learned the hard way. So anything we can do to make the road easier to navigate is our goal for all newcomers to the sport. Hope you will make this your new home!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 11:49:16 PM »
Welcome from the great state of MS. Glad to have you here. What part of GA do ya hail from?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 05:40:13 AM »
Welcome from Colorado.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 06:55:49 AM »
Welcome from Colorado.
Welcome from the great state of MS. Glad to have you here. What part of GA do ya hail from?
Good morning. Thank you all for reaching out to welcome me. Hawg, I live in Columbus, GA. Been here since 1970. My wife of 37 years says that I snore. I sleep in another room now......with my revolvers ;)($! BP definitely can become an addiction/obsession as I have witnessed in myself. Okay, you guys asked for it....Questions from a BP greenhorn, when I go to load for my first time, how will I know if there is no air between the RB and the powder/wad? Do you push the RB in until it can go no further? Can it be pushed in too far? Some things are clear to me but some are not. The plunger pushes the RB in, I get that, I plan on loading the cylinder while in the revolver. May get a table loader one day. .36 cal and .44 cal, I've read the uberti specs on recommended powder charges. Any advice for my first load in the two calibers respectively? Also, I would appreciate ANY advice about any of this process. So fire away folks!! Thank everyone once again for the warm welcome round the warm far. ;D

Offline Doc Holiday

• Too many hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 07:44:36 AM »
Welcome from Colorado.
Good morning. Thank you all for reaching out to welcome me. Hawg, I live in Columbus, GA. Been here since 1970. My wife of 37 years says that I snore. I sleep in another room now......with my revolvers ;)($! BP definitely can become an addiction/obsession as I have witnessed in myself. Okay, you guys asked for it....Questions from a BP greenhorn, when I go to load for my first time, how will I know if there is no air between the RB and the powder/wad? Do you push the RB in until it can go no further? Can it be pushed in too far? Some things are clear to me but some are not. The plunger pushes the RB in, I get that, I plan on loading the cylinder while in the revolver. May get a table loader one day. .36 cal and .44 cal, I've read the uberti specs on recommended powder charges. Any advice for my first load in the two calibers respectively? Also, I would appreciate ANY advice about any of this process. So fire away folks!! Thank everyone once again for the warm welcome round the warm far. ;D

There's many more knowledgeable folks on BP than I as I'm a relative newbie myself, but I just press the loading lever down firmly. It packs everything in nice and tight. There is no air space. You want no air space. And I have not had any issue at all.
Enjoy.
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
FREE MATT HOOVER.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 08:20:30 AM »
I load 25 grains for .36 in steel frames. I load 35 in .44's with steel frames. As long as the ball is firmly seated on the powder charge there will be no air space. I've got relatives around Atlanta and Loganville.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 08:49:44 AM »
A warm welcome from Wisconsin! As others have said, when you seat the ball firmly there is no air space. It is hard to know what specific problem you may run into, so when it does show up, just give a shout. Oh.....we love pictures too (or it never happened) L@J!