Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: USFA trivia  (Read 1534 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
USFA trivia
« on: July 26, 2021, 05:08:34 PM »
On the last page of the latest American Rifleman, there is an article about a USPFA Buntline Colt. They used this name for a few years until Colt sued to have the "Patent" part of the name removed. The company renamed USFA in 1997. The company rented space in the old Colt "Blue Dome" where they made their quality firearms. Turnbull did the casehardening, bluing, and oxide finishes. The guns were made in-house until mismanagement and non-delivery of critical parts led to the company being forced out of business. Does anyone else have more to add? I have an 1873 USFA Colt and it is a beautiful revolver.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: USFA trivia
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 05:20:59 PM »
The owner of USFA was quirky. He abandoned the 1873 revolvers to put his full attention to the Zip 22 which was unreliable. The company went under in just a few years.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 06:12:49 PM »
Yep, the owner was Donnelly and he gave up on a proven gun(s) and devoted all his attention to that zip gun. I haven't tried to find values but I have heard the USFA firearms are escalating in price. Those Colts did cost a lot of money to produce, but they were selling for a good price too.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 06:39:38 PM »
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 08:42:01 AM »
Wow! That is a great Turnbull job! Mine is pretty, but not that pretty! I think Turnbull finished the high end guns.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 10:10:40 AM »
Yep. That stupid Zip Gun killed USFA. Too bad too, their SAA's are gorgeous. Even the lower end guns.

Watch the Gun Jesus video about that little .22 if you want some entertainment. What an utter piece of garbage.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln