Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: I bought a holster mold.  (Read 1157 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
I bought a holster mold.
« on: August 17, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »
I just picked up this replica Rogers & Spencer from GunBroker.   I have been trying to get one for a while and a few months ago I started getting serious.   I lost several auctions before I ended up with this one.  It was a little expensive on a "buy it now" but I believe I can sell several holsters now that I have the revolver to pattern and mold with.
As you can see some idiot completely screwed up the grips with the medallion, sandpaper and some crappy stain.   No problem to make a new set though.   
More Later after I take it apart.

Did I mention I hate the grips.

I gotta do something about those grips.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: I bought a holster mold.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 02:58:45 PM »
Nice score Mike. Yeah, the grips are a little wonky, but those pistols are getting really hard to get. Other than the grips, it looks like a really nice gun.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 07:47:54 PM »
Took the R & S apart and ran everything through the ultrasonic cleaner.   The seller had said this gun looked to be unfired but that was not the case.   It had plenty of BP residue hidden in the nooks and crannies.   The internals are all in excellent shape and don't show much wear at all.   The hand spring is weak though and I had to make an adjustment to keep it functioning for more than a few turns of the cylinder.  I can tell I will be replacing the spring altogether soon.   For now the spring has lasted lasted through 10 cylinders full of shooting.

As you can see the grip frame is separate from the main frame unlike the Remington.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 05:04:07 AM »
Nice one Mike. Thanks for sharing your good fortune. Tim  (7&