Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cap size for Uberti 1849 Pocket  (Read 5512 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Cap size for Uberti 1849 Pocket
« on: January 18, 2014, 06:06:03 AM »
Hi, Uberti specifies a #11 cap for their 1849 Pocket replicas. When I first got my Uberti 1849 Pockets, I tried to use CCI #10 caps and found that I couldn't get them on the nipples far enough and the caps would bind and lock up the cylinder to the frame. While I have thousands of both CCI and Remington #10 caps, I only had a few hundred CCI #11 caps. The #11 CCI caps worked well on the 1849 Pocket. I have been searching the usual firearms equipment supply houses for weeks looking to buy more #11 caps with no success.

Today I was doing some internet searching and found this chart, see:
http://s122.photobucket.com/user/mykealsm/media/Guns/CapSizes.jpg.html

That chart shows that the Remington #10 cap diameter is larger than the #10 CCI caps. Just for grins, I tried putting the #10 Remington caps on one of my 1849 Pockets. I was amazed, they fit perfectly!

Bottom line is that the Uberti 1849 Pocket revolvers will work with the #10 Remington cap.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
Re: Cap size for Uberti 1849 Pocket
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »
Hi, Uberti specifies a #11 cap for their 1849 Pocket replicas. When I first got my Uberti 1849 Pockets, I tried to use CCI #10 caps and found that I couldn't get them on the nipples far enough and the caps would bind and lock up the cylinder to the frame. While I have thousands of both CCI and Remington #10 caps, I only had a few hundred CCI #11 caps. The #11 CCI caps worked well on the 1849 Pocket. I have been searching the usual firearms equipment supply houses for weeks looking to buy more #11 caps with no success.

Today I was doing some internet searching and found this chart, see:
http://s122.photobucket.com/user/mykealsm/media/Guns/CapSizes.jpg.html

That chart shows that the Remington #10 cap diameter is larger than the #10 CCI caps. Just for grins, I tried putting the #10 Remington caps on one of my 1849 Pockets. I was amazed, they fit perfectly!

Bottom line is that the Uberti 1849 Pocket revolvers will work with the #10 Remington cap.

Regards,
Richard

Thanks for passing that on.

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 04:44:51 PM »
IME, #10 Remington's work on most every C&B revolvers regardless of model, manufacture, or caliber.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 06:40:53 PM »
I agree Fingers, with one exception.  I recently bought an unfired, in the box Pietta civilian model 1851.  Remington #10 caps are fall off loose on that revolver.  I had to pinch the #10s to keep them on.  No evidence of them ever being changed but since it was bought from an individual you never know.  I have a new set of nipples and plan to change them before I shoot it again.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:50:18 PM »
I agree Fingers, with one exception.  I recently bought an unfired, in the box Pietta civilian model 1851.  Remington #10 caps are fall off loose on that revolver.  I had to pinch the #10s to keep them on.  No evidence of them ever being changed but since it was bought from an individual you never know.  I have a new set of nipples and plan to change them before I shoot it again.

Well, I did say most every C&B.  That left me a little wiggle room for the odd non-complier
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce