Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Rogers & Spencer (first smoke)  (Read 1961 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Rogers & Spencer (first smoke)
« on: August 26, 2021, 08:25:30 PM »
Tried out the R & S a few days ago.    Loaded with 30 grains 3F and a .454 round ball I shot 6 rounds from 10 yards and it actually hits close to POA.    Then I backed off to 25 yards and proceeded to run nine more cylinders full through it.   I wanted to see how long it would run before the cylinder pin fouled and had to be cleaned.   It was still spinning freely after ten cylinders.   That bushing on the front of cylinder really does what it is designed for.
As far as shooting this thing goes,  the hammer is a long reach when cocking and the grips just don't feel good at all.   All in all the gun performs well and will shoot much better than I am capable of.

After 10 cylinders.  60 shots and still pretty clean. 

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Rogers & Spencer (first smoke)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 08:55:08 PM »
Nice, Mike! Glad you got to make smoke with it!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 03:55:51 AM »
Mike,
   Good morning. Thanks for the post. I enjoyed the story and the pictures too. What do you use for cleaning Mike? I'm a newbie at all this. I like to ask everyone what cleaning method they use. Thanks, Tim

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 05:20:31 AM »
Water,  preferably hot.   Soap helps but not totally necessary.     Every once in a while I tear them down completely and put the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner for 5 minutes.

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 08:24:25 AM »
Water,  preferably hot.   Soap helps but not totally necessary.     Every once in a while I tear them down completely and put the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner for 5 minutes.
Mike, Thank you. What do you use for lube? I've asked many folks the same question. I can be redundant. Your thoughts on ballistol besides it's smell?  (7+"  :'( Thanks again. Tim

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 09:20:07 AM »
I use my own beeswax olive oil based lube.   Mostly use a thin lube cookie (card, lube disc, card) especially on cartridge loads.   When loading loose I use a lightly lubed wad.   This time I shot the R & S with no lube at all.

Ballistol is my favorite,  yes I like the smell too.   I use it after cleaning as a protectant and sometimes clean with a Ballistol soaked rag when cleaning with water is not convenient.   I have never mixed Ballistol with water even though it's perfectly acceptable to do so.

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 10:02:16 AM »
Mike,
   Hey. Thank you for the input man. ;) I actually like the smell of Ballistol. LOL I have lubed with it as well. The olive oil/bees was sounds interesting too. So what is the consistency like? Very little bees wax? It just seems like it would be to cakey like if too much wax? I have know idea as I have never tried that.  What's the preparation for this? Mixture etc.? Thanks again. Tim

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 01:33:35 PM »
Beeswax & Olive oil in some form of another is probably the most common lube for BP.   I mix mine so it is mostly wax and stiff so I can make a thin sheet and then cut discs the size I need.   I melt the beeswax mixture on top of a pan of water.   Let it cool and harden the pick the sheet off the water and cut out discs with a punch.   I also cut card stock and place a card wad then a lube disc and another card wad in paper or metal cartridges.   For loose powder loads I use a wad that has been soaked in the beeswax mixture when its hot.

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 02:32:23 PM »
Beeswax & Olive oil in some form of another is probably the most common lube for BP.   I mix mine so it is mostly wax and stiff so I can make a thin sheet and then cut discs the size I need.   I melt the beeswax mixture on top of a pan of water.   Let it cool and harden the pick the sheet off the water and cut out discs with a punch.   I also cut card stock and place a card wad then a lube disc and another card wad in paper or metal cartridges.   For loose powder loads I use a wad that has been soaked in the beeswax mixture when its hot.

Ahhhhh. I see. The purpose for the wad. I misunderstood. I thought you meant as a lubricant for coating the revolver exterior and arbor etc. I'm sorry. Kind of new still with all this. I really appreciate you taking time to address my question. I like how you explained how you melt the wax. That sounds fairly straight forward :-). I bought some felt from this guy in Arkansas that sells to a lot of BP enthusiasts. I bought the punch set as well. I just haven't made my first wads. I will be shooting cap and ball revolvers exclusively. I did buy some pre-made wads that have wonderlube or something like that. It seemed I could make my own much cheaper. So it sounds like I will just need to soak these wads in your formula and let dry? Thanks againMike. You have been very helpful. L@. Tim

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 09:28:11 AM »
Congratulations Mike, on that R&S. I've been longing for one, but so far hadn't found one at an acceptable cost.