Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My Single Action Army pistols  (Read 11026 times)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• View Profile
My Single Action Army pistols
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »
Howdy

My first post here. Thought I would post a few photos of my SAAs.

This one is a 2nd Gen, made in 1968, 45 Colt caliber. It looks much older than it is because a previous owner stripped all the finish off of it, including most of the Case Hardening colors on the frame. I came across it at my lgs about ten years ago. I got it for a good price because it is a parts gun; the trigger guard and backstrap came from another gun. Lucky for me the dealer is an honest guy. Another interesting feature on this gun is the little bit of metal that has been welded onto the front sight. It is quite visible in this photo. Probably added after somebody took too much off the sight. This is probably my favorite gun in my entire collection. I love the feel of the short barrel, and it has a lot of character.

This one is a late 2nd Gen, it was made in 1973. 45 Colt caliber. This one came with an extra cylinder, also chambered for 45 Colt, but having 'long flutes'. You can see the flutes are slightly longer on the extra cylinder, and it has the Black Powder bevel on it. It is a little bit more accurate with the 'regular' cylinder. I lettered this one a bunch of years ago and found out that it originally left the factory with a 12" barrel, but was returned shortly and fitted with the 7 1/2" barrel.

This is the pair of them. They are my usual Main Match revolvers in CAS. They only get fired with Black Powder, I never put Smokeless through them anymore. You can see there is a bit of 'browning' happening to the ejector housing and the barrel on the short gun from all that BP over the years. I usually shoot them with a case full of FFg under a 250 grain bullet. Recoil is stout, particularly with the short one. Sometimes I throttle back a bit and fire them with Schofield rounds and only about 28 grains of FFg under a 200 grain bullet. Recoil is a bit milder.

I have always had a soft spot for the Bisley model. I found this one last year. It is my only 1st Gen so far, made in 1906. It has been re-barreled and has a new cylinder chambered for 44 Special, clearly it did not leave the factory that way. The grips are clearly not original either, but they are very cool. I usually shoot 44 Russians out of it, loaded with Black Powder of course. It has not been tricked out inside at all, the hammer and trigger pull are a bit stiff, but I will probably leave it just as it is. Recoil with only about 20 grains of FFg under a 200 grain bullet with 44 Russian is very mild.

Just for fun, here are the 7 1/2" 2nd Gen and the Bisley together for comparison.

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
Re: My Single Action Army pistols
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 12:28:16 PM »
Great pictures and a nice brace plus one of SAA's!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 01:00:32 PM »
Nice revolvers.  I really like that Bisley.  Looks like someone put some effort into those grips.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum DJ.  It's about time you found it. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
With all you fellers showin' yer original type Colts, I think I'll jest go sit inna corner and suck ma thumb. What I wouldn't give fer a real honest ta goodness Colt. But, never had one, and at this late date in ma life, guess ah never will. BUT ah shore can enjoy lookin at yourn. Thanks fer showin'm guys. )k* )k*
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »
Love all of them! Great to see your fine collection, but like Kaboom,all mine are imports and will probably always be.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Rigmarol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:05:13 AM »
Kaboom, I'm in the same boat as you are friend!

I have to enjoy lookin' at others' good fortune!
Nice pictures guys!

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 04:28:06 AM »
Nice looking revolvers, like the grips on the Bisley.  You make them?
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »
...like the grips on the Bisley.  You make them?

Nope, they were on it when I bought it. Clearly aftermarket.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 09:48:38 PM »
DJ, never had the pleasure of holding or shooting a Bisley. Do they hold as comfortable as they look?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 06:22:33 AM »
Well, the Bisley grip is different. I dunno if I would say it is more comfortable or not. First off, the Bisley grip is about 1/4" longer than the standard plowhandle grip. I always curl my pinky under the standard plowhandle grip, I never try to cram my whole hand onto the grip. So the extra 1/4" means that I can comfortably get my entire hand onto the grip if I want to. But I still have to regrip to reach the hammer spur, so I usually wind up curling my finger under it anyway. The other thing about the Bisley grip is that decided sweep forward of the front part of the grip. This is very different than the Ruger version of the Bisley grip, which does not sweep forward at all. I find that the forward sweep tends to make the gun point slightly down towards the floor, when my arm is extended straight and my elbow is locked straight. I have often speculated about this. I have seen photos of 19th Century target shooters who did not lock their elbow as we do today in the standard Bullseye stance, instead their elbows were slightly bent. I have often speculated that the Colt Bisley grip was designed for that slightly bent elbow stance, which makes the gun point more straight forward. I have no specific information about this, it is just a theory of mine. The Bisley Colt was developed as a target gun, after all.

So shooting the Bisley is a bit different than shooting a plow handle.

Another little known fact about the Colt Bisley is the grip is not interchangeable onto a standard SAA frame. The frame of the Bisley Colt is a little bit deeper, to match up properly with the grip. With the Ruger version, the grips are interchangeable on the standard frames.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 06:38:07 AM »
DJ, never had the pleasure of holding or shooting a Bisley. Do they hold as comfortable as they look?

I can't say for the Colt design but the Ruger design feels horrid to me. I traded a perfectly good Civil War foot officers sword for this POS. Thank God I found somebody willing to trade a NIB Uberti Cattleman for it. )k*

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »
That is a sweet collection man!
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »
The Ruger Bisley appeals to some because they feel the larger grip is better with heavy recoiling revolvers. It is easier to get the entire hand onto one than it is with the standard Vaquero version of the plow handle grip. When I first started shooting Black Powder in CAS I thought I would need a pair of Bisley Vaqueros because of the stout recoil of a full case of Black Powder under a 250 grain bullet in 45 Colt. I did buy a Stainless Bisley Vaquero. I took it to exactly one match. I found out I did not need the bigger grip, even with a full house load of BP in 45 Colt. I sold the Ruger Bisley and used the cash towards an Uberti Cattleman. I have never looked back, I prefer the standard Colt plow handle grip with a Black Powder 45 Colt load. I just allow the grip to rotate in my hand, I do not find the recoil punishing.

That Bisley Colt is chambered for 44 Special, but I usually shoot it with 44 Russians loaded with Black Powder. The 44 Russian has much less powder capacity than 45 Colt or 44 Special, so shooting them in the Bisley the recoil is very mild.

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »
I have to agree with the others, that is one nice set of Colts that you have there, thanks for showing them to us.
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!