Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Uberti 1860 conversion  (Read 17643 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Re: Uberti 1860 conversion
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 10:50:12 AM »
just a curiosity is all. if the subject of smokeless is to be avoided here then by all means i will not pursue or report my findings or experimentation with the OTHER powder here on "colt country". i have plenty of bp experience and fun time to write about if i have overstepped in any way.

Awwww...c'mon. We don't resort to those kinda chickenshit petty rules here. If smokeless is what ya shoot, talk about it. Hell, I load smokeless for all my CF guns.

LOL... good to hear! nice to be a part of a forum that does not cater to a particular powder or mix of powder. i been in forums that a feller could get hung from a low branch for even mentioning some stuff.

thanks for keepin it real ...  )k* ...  :D ...  :o
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 07:34:21 AM »
so did it. shot the 5.5 grain Unique loads and they were indeed puff loads. tryed some 5.5 grains Trail Boss and they also are fairly puff loads compared to a 35 grain 2F load.

still n all i am having a ball with this revolver and in winter up here revolvers are a saving grace. i will post photo's when i get the cylinder timed and all wrapped up.

thanks for a real forum without the "chickenshit" stuff. i LIKE IT !!! ...  )k* ...  ;) ...  (jh
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
Scooby ... you will never believe this !!! i installed the new hand and assembled the revolver with my conversion cylinder and the first whack ... man this thing timed out perfect the very first time with doing nothing to the hand. now i have a 5 shot cylinder chambered for the Colt 45 case when loading very short bullets ... in my case i love them round balls with this conversion. i loaded 6 grains Trail Boss behind the .454 round balls and they are very nice and mild shooting. they go a bit low but the fun factor is super.

next i had some ...[HAD]... round balls loaded over 35 grains 2F with crisco over the front and man these are the shis niss. these really haul the mail and with my shoulder stock installed i look like a friggin hero. i really like this Uberti 1860. what a fine pistol and even in the cold i load in the house and go into the yard and scare all the dogs in the neighborhood.

any way thanks for the kind words and im here for the long run im thinkin. gotta get other folks out and make smoke. it be just the thing that the doctor ordered. i can breath smoke and get my fix and still not freeze my arse off. was thinkin bout gettin a short barrel for it but dont wanna jinx it for now. maybe another 60 with a 5 1/2 inch barrel ... hmmm.
BIGTED

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 09:42:21 PM »
Very nice work. I am impressed, to say the least.   *?.   )Y%
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 10:01:35 PM »
That is another gorgeous gun, Steve. As I mentioned in another post, my only critique of the Piettas (mine included) is the shape of the grip. It looks good but doesn't feel quite right in my hand. Still, I'll probably leave it alone for now.
Ted, very glad you feel at home here, and also that your timing issues worked out. We are trying to build something a little different here. If you shoot smokeless, then tell us all about it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 12:36:25 PM »
so here is mine for now. finally got the new hand  installed as stated above and my what a sweet surprise. it times perfect now. gotta keep the other hand with the cap cylinder as it were perfect in the timing with that 6 shot cylinder.

photo's are not comparable with yours but here is a shootable conversion so far and now i have the grand job of installing the ejector and relieving the remainder of the frame to load and unload thru the gate.

so there she be. this is a fun revolver to shoot.

i have loaded 6 grains Trail Boss under the round balls in colt cases but they dont have the pressure to swell the cases and seal the chamber so i have need for further experimenting. also the recoil is very slack with the TB loads and the 30 grain to 35 grain loads of 2F behind the same ball is where it is at. i may have to resort to my favorite unique loads to see if i can get the cases to swell and seal in the cylinder without going over board.

with each experimentation ... i load several BP loads to finish up with just so i get a snoot full of smoke and the satisfaction of feeling a real load thru her for the cleaning ease and fondling she deserves.
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
got my loading gate relieved on the frame. went slow and easy so as to do as nice a job as i could ... nothing but a dremel, hand drill, files.

got the ejector housing installed as well. it be coming together for sure and im havin a ball screwing with it.

now my next step will be to either get another barrel for this so i can cut it down to the end of the ejector housing ... or cut this one. that should be snazzy for sure. i much prefer the short barrels and this will not be any different.

so there she is with the job almost done. gonna shorten it one way or another but not sure yet how im gonna go about it.

the loaded shells are 230 grain bullets ahead of 35 grains GOEX Cartridge powder. these really pop and are a real hoot to shoot. may have to send off to Accurate Molds and have him cut me another mold especially for this revolver. the round balls are fun as well and the Trail Boss is nice n clean as is the Unique powders but they are certainly NOT BP.
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »
Looks great and like tons of fun, BigTed!

Offline Kaboom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 09:54:19 PM »
 Very nice, Ted. Looks excellent, in fact. My compliments. L@.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 11:10:04 AM »
thanks again fellers for the kind words. now to find the hack saw ... oh ... nother penny sight comin up i think.
BIGTED

Offline Kaboom

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 11:17:12 AM »
Look for that thar Indian head this here time........ *?.

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »
 (jh well did the deed. found my hacksaw and went to hackin.  )k*

just took the bull by the horns and went to it.

got her parted off and went to performin some simple back yard fixins.

then try to put a little bit of pretty on it with some cleanup and blue patchin just for now ... nuttin fancy ... just to keep the rust at bay.

and there she is ... for better and worst she is just what the doctor ordered. i really like this short 4.1/4 inch barrel AND not havin any indian head penny's round ... decided to re use the original sight ... think it works well but the proof will be when i get to put her on target to see where it prints.

and a view from the operators seat ...

and finally a view that nobody wants to see. at least i dont wanna see it when another is holding the handle.  :D

so there she is in all her glory. cant wait to give it a good wring out to see how it shoots. i expect it to do very well but i been surprised before with projects. if nuttin else i got the short barrel 60 to pack when the urge hits.

just an ol hill billy doing things myself with simple hand tools and small bits of know how. prolly get this and the little colt professionally dip blued some day but for now ... they be shooters.
BIGTED

Offline Kaboom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 03:53:22 PM »
Lookin' mighty good, Ted. And yes, not havin' a Indian head, usin' the original prolly is the bestest ider.  Good goin'.   )k*

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 08:16:29 PM »
You gonna crown the muzzle, Ted?

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 10:08:21 PM »
kinda hard to see but it is slightly crowned ... just broke the sharp edges but on second look ... may have to get busy and make it a bit deeper to protect it from bumps n such.  think i will shoot her first to see where i am.

were a fun project all thru.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:13:22 PM by bigted »
BIGTED