Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New boolits  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
New boolits
« on: September 23, 2021, 08:00:36 AM »
So, my new boolits arrived yesterday from MidwayUSA...Montana Precision Swaging .458 dia. 405gr FN. I intend to load up a half a hundred of these with the usual 60gr load of Graf's 3F and see how they compare to the 535gr Postells.
As I mentioned, the Postell puts a mean thump on, but I want to compare to a lighter boolit and see what the difference is at closer range targets. Besides, they were out of stock on the Postells.
I have the mould for the Postells, but at 535gr I would only get roughly 13 boolits per lb of lead. At this point in time it's much easier just to buy the boolits pre-cast.
There is quite a striking difference in profile...

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: New boolits
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 08:28:59 AM »
I shoot both of these bullets in my 45-70's.    I have hand cast all of mine with the exception of the first few that Mazo was kind enough to send me to try out.   
Are you buying these pre lubed?   I use a Star lubrisizer to lube mine with my homemade lube.   With the Star luber You can use the same top punch since the bullet goes in upside down so all you need is a flat top punch.   The nose profile doesn't make any difference.

I don't feel much difference in the Postel versus the 405 Gov't bullet as far as recoil goes.   The biggest difference is performance at looong range (600+ yards) and how fast your lead supply disappears.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: New boolits
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 08:38:57 AM »
I shoot both of these bullets in my 45-70's.    I have hand cast all of mine with the exception of the first few that Mazo was kind enough to send me to try out.   
Are you buying these pre lubed?   I use a Star lubrisizer to lube mine with my homemade lube.   With the Star luber You can use the same top punch since the bullet goes in upside down so all you need is a flat top punch.   The nose profile doesn't make any difference.

I don't feel much difference in the Postel versus the 405 Gov't bullet as far as recoil goes.   The biggest difference is performance at looong range (600+ yards) and how fast your lead supply disappears.

Yes, Mike. These come pre-lubed with SPG black powder lube. I have had various lubrisizers on my "notify me" list for over a year now...nothing doing. :eusa_eh:
Was hoping for a Lyman or RCBS but I'll have to check out the Star as well.
Of course, they can be pan lubed as well. As for the bullets...the Postell has the reputation of being a viable 1000 yard bullet. That's why I chose that mould to buy. But as you say, saving 130gr per bullet can really add up, especially if you are shooting at 100-200 yard distances as I am. I wanted to check them out, and if I'm satisfied with the accuracy, I'll probably be shopping for a 405gr mould in the near future. Not that anyone has them anyway.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"