Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cleaning, back of cylinder is my concern  (Read 4069 times)

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
Cleaning, back of cylinder is my concern
« on: October 14, 2021, 04:29:21 AM »
I have a little experience with a BP rifle. I literally clean in the bath tub pre marriage.
I need to know just how to clean and prevent rust at the back of the cylinder where the nipples are. I don’t want to wind up with a glob of grease back there causing a mid fire but want no rust either.
Also do I clean the barrel with a jag and patch like the rifle?
Hope I’m not beating a dead horse and getting myself in trouble here. I like this place and hope I can stay.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning, back of cylinder is my concern
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 05:17:15 AM »
I use bore mops for the barrel and cylinder. I use the same thing for rifles. Just hold the cylinder under water and the mop will pull water up through it and push it back out with some pressure.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 05:23:04 AM »
I have a little experience with a BP rifle. I literally clean in the bath tub pre marriage.
I need to know just how to clean and prevent rust at the back of the cylinder where the nipples are. I don’t want to wind up with a glob of grease back there causing a mid fire but want no rust either.
Hope I’m not beating a dead horse and getting myself in trouble here. I like this place and hope I can stay.

AR. Good morning. What Hawg said👍 He is the man!! You better not go anywhere 🤣🤣 ask any questions you like and as many times as you like. These guys here have endured many repeated questions from me. I’m glad you like it here😊👍 it just gets better my friend. Thanks, Tim

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 05:30:35 AM »

AR. Good morning. What Hawg said👍 He is the man!! You better not go anywhere 🤣🤣 ask any questions you like and as many times as you like. These guys here have endured many repeated questions from me. I’m glad you like it here😊👍 it just gets better my friend. Thanks, Tim

I wonder if Midway sells bore mops? 😀
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 05:37:21 AM by Captainkirk »

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 05:36:36 AM »
Yes they do🤣🤣 I have seen them at Walmart as well👍

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 05:37:25 AM »
I get mine at Walmart.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2021, 05:38:30 AM »
Remove the nipples when cleaning and you can get to the back of the bores with your bronze brush
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline AR. Hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 05:44:28 AM »
Remove the nipples when cleaning and you can get to the back of the bores with your bronze brush
Will do. I also need to find/ make a nipple wrench.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 05:46:45 AM »
Midway anyone??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I promise, I’m not getting kickbacks!! :no_no:

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 05:51:14 AM »
Will do. I also need to find/ make a nipple wrench.

One can make one from a 1/4" drive 5/16 Craftsman deep well socket and a Dremel wheel, so I'm told. I have several of the Pedersoli wrenches. They are a far cry better than most of the junk out there plus they have a built in nipple pick.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 06:27:34 AM »
Ted Cash is the best one. Don't waste your money on a cheap one. Or you can make one like Cap said. Zulch, what is it with you and Midway? :lol-049:

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 06:47:01 AM »
Ted Cash is the best one. Don't waste your money on a cheap one. Or you can make one like Cap said. Zulch, what is it with you and Midway? :lol-049:
😁😬 well…, uhhhhh. Hmmmm… nice day we’re having huh?  (7+" (7+" (7+"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 07:24:14 AM »

No, sir! We are here to help and questions are welcome!

As for cleaning, I go way overkill myself and completely strip the gun every time. I use a bore brush and patches to clean the barrel and cylinder, remove the nipples and use a bronze brush to get all the nooks and crannies. An old toothbrush will work, but the bronze toothbrush works better IMHO. Warm water with a drop or two of dish soap does the trick. Really hot water will generally give you flash rust. I remove the nipples each time and clean really well, as well as the flash holes, then reinstall using anti-seize on the threads. Oil everything really well with your favorite oil or Ballistol, assemble the innards using Lubriplate AA630 or similar white lithium grease, or Mobil 1 synthetic grease. Mike Brackett (Goon's Gun Works) recommends using Mobil 1 and packing all the cavities full. He says a BP gun treated in this fashion only needs disassembly and cleaning every couple years, but I personally don't mind getting all BP salts and fouling out of my guns. (Sometimes they will sit several years before the next outing...I tend to rotate them). Bottom line is; whatever you are comfortable with. Both Black Powder and Pyrodex leave deposits than can be corrosive if not removed; I choose to err on the side of caution.
I learned a long time ago to take 1-2 revolvers to shoot, plus an extra as a backup in case of an issue. Otherwise I spend as much time cleaning as shooting.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 07:30:47 AM by Captainkirk »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 09:22:02 AM »
😁😬 well…, uhhhhh. Hmmmm… nice day we’re having huh?  (7+" (7+" (7+"

What has a nice day got to do with the price of eggs in China? Hmmmmm?

I'm the opposite of Kirk. I never tear mine all the way down anymore. I used to tear them down once a year but there was never any sign of rust or corrosion so I quit doing it. I do remove the trigger guards but that's as far as I go. I also don't remove nipples which I really should do but I'm old and stubborn. Plus I've never had a nipple problem and I've been doing this since 1969. I still have the old 58 Remington that got me started in this mess. <={

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 09:38:34 AM »
You see AR? These guys here are seasoned and long time BP veterans, they all have there different methods. Personally speaking, I appreciate all the different choices I have. A large database of knowledge here pick and choose from and everyone shares freely. When I came aboard and began asking questions they all helped me out and still do.😊👍 this is fun stuff man!! I learn something new here all the time.  Have fun here AR Hillbilly :cowboypistol: