Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Remington: Taylor/Uberti Antique Finish  (Read 6575 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Remington: Taylor/Uberti Antique Finish
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »
Don't skimp. Brownells for sure.  Better than even Grace.

Cheaper too.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Sooty Barrels

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2021, 04:34:56 AM »
Zilch, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, it looks like the captain has it covered. If you are like me and you need to see photos and videos to fully understand there are some good videos on assembly and disassembly on YouTube. One is by duelist 54, hope this helps.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2021, 05:22:31 AM »
Don't skimp. Brownells for sure.  Better than even Grace.
G Dog, Thank you. Roger that. Brownells it shall be. (7&

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2021, 05:24:37 AM »
Zilch, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, it looks like the captain has it covered. If you are like me and you need to see photos and videos to fully understand there are some good videos on assembly and disassembly on YouTube. One is by duelist 54, hope this helps.

Sooty,  Thank you my friend. I will check out duelist 54 on youtube. Thank you for that info. Tim

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2021, 05:47:15 AM »
Sooo...
Disassembly tips?
First; get yourself a good set of GUNSMITHING screwdrivers, if ya don't already have them. Not Craftsman, not Harbor Fright (even though this is Halloween weekend). Brownells, Midway, etc.

Next; hammer at half cock. Drop the loading lever latch and pop the axle pin. Push the cylinder through while rotating a bit with your right hand, of the left side of the gun. Remove the grip screw and grips. Next, remove the forward trigger guard screw and lift the TG off. Remove the retaining screw for the trigger/bolt spring and remove the spring. Next, remove the retaining screw for the trigger and bolt and remove those. Loosen the set screw on the inner grip frame that either secures or secures/adjusts tension on the mainspring. Now take a half of a wooden clothes pin,
put the rectangular skinny end (that you squeeze with your fingers) between the inside upper grip frame and the top of the mainspring and slide it up towards the trigger. It should wedge tight. Now, twist it so the wide end is between the spring and grip frame...tension should come off the hammer. Remove the hammer screw and allow the hammer to move upwards; you should now be able to remove the mainspring with finger pressure.
Push the hammer DOWN so that the hand attachment screw is visible. Remove the screw and hand, then pull the hammer up and out through the hammer slot on the topside. Remove the loading lever retaining screw and remove the loading lever. And there you go, Easy Peasy.
Reassemble in reverse order. A couple things folks have trouble with; When reinstalling the hammer, put it in first, slide it down and attach the hand, then push it back up as far as it can go. Insert the spring and tighten the tension spring. Then, use the clothes pin trick again to move the spring away from the hammer roller so you can get the hammer screw started and tightened without cross-threading it. Release the tension on the clothes pin by rotating it and slide it down and out of the way. The other thing folks have trouble with is reinserting the cylinder. Insert from the RIGHT side, turning it as you push until the axle pin aligns. Push it in and you are set to go.

Hope this makes sense...if not, I will try to get a helper to snap some photos of the various stages. I highly recommend figuring out the cylinder R&R by practicing a bunch of times before hand, until it becomes smooth as butter and you can do it in the dark with your eyes closed (yes, I can, and I've done it a bunch of times) I can disassemble a Remmy in a few minutes, mostly due to the fact there are
 so few screws, unlike the Colt and the myriad of screws of different lengths, head sizes, etc. The Colt has 6 screws alone in the TG/grip frame assembly!

Cap. Thank you Sir!. As always, you provide a very thorough and intuitive explanation. I can visualize in my mind as I am reading your explanation. You are good at wordsmithing.  <={ I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I particularly like your idea of practicing the cylinder R&R drill and being able to do it "eyes closed". A very good suggestion. Also, how did you know I was cheap??? The tools? HAHAHAHAHA..Harbour Fright!! BOO!!!  (7+" (7+"  Okay Okay. I will spring for the good stuff. It sounds as if the clothespin trick is merely to release tension also helps allow access to the hammer screw a little easier when taking out and also when re-installing? If you do have a picture of the clothespin half wedged "trick or treat" :smiley-rolleyes008: inserted in that would be nice to see sir. Thanks Again.
Tim

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2021, 10:47:26 AM »
Bellevue's vids on takedown / reassembly are by far the best.  He does both Colt and Remington.  Visuals are helpful when you start out.  Pretty soon you'll be dreaming it, Zulch.

How's the bore on that piece?  Chambers?

The cones look a bit like the Johnnie Roper School of never removing them.  Eventually he couldn't get his out even if he had wanted to.

Go with Bellevue vids.  He's  good.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2021, 12:02:30 PM »
Bellevue's vids on takedown / reassembly are by far the best.  He does both Colt and Remington.  Visuals are helpful when you start out.  Pretty soon you'll be dreaming it, Zulch.

How's the bore on that piece?  Chambers?

The cones look a bit like the Johnnie Roper School of never removing them.  Eventually he couldn't get his out even if he had wanted to.

Go with Bellevue vids.  He's  good.
Hey there G Dog. Thanks for the recommendation of Bellevue👍 I will certainly check those vids out. Regarding the cones, they have not been removed yet. Brand new revolver and still has factory grease in bore and chambers. I’ve got some work to do HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Thank you for your post and interest. I can’t wait to get this baby to the firing range👍 Hope your day is going well. Thanks again, Tim

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2021, 01:59:31 PM »
Wow, the finish on that is incredible. That looks almost as old as my ORIGINAL Colt Navy.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2021, 03:45:58 PM »
Wow, the finish on that is incredible. That looks almost as old as my ORIGINAL Colt Navy.
Necessaryevil. Thank you for the compliment 😁👍 very kind of you.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2021, 10:13:57 AM »
Hey guys. Capt. Kirk gave a very thorough write up on breaking down the Remington. Thanks again Cap. Anyone else want to give any advice? As I said this is my first Remmy. Love to hear what others have to say? 😊👍

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2021, 11:03:55 AM »
............ Anyone else want to give any advice? As I said this is my first Remmy. Love to hear what others have to say? 😊👍

Sell the Remmie and buy a Colt.   :lol-049: :lol-049: :lol-049: :lol-049:
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2021, 11:19:23 AM »
............ Anyone else want to give any advice? As I said this is my first Remmy. Love to hear what others have to say? 😊👍

)lI :sad30: :sad30:  yep...I opened that door didn't I f(*&
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 11:33:28 AM by Zulch »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2021, 11:51:35 AM »

)lI :sad30: :sad30:  yep...I opened that door didn't I f(*&

Indeed you did. And I walked right through it!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2021, 11:58:40 AM »

Only half of that is good advice.  Keep the Rem - get a Colt.  Then repeat in that order.  Shoot them though.  You can use a rock for a paperweight.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2021, 11:59:53 AM »
How did that troll get in here? *9+   :lol-049: :lol-049: I would consider trading my Remmy for a Model 3 Dragoon. (7& well....maybe