Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ruger Old Army with 209 shotgun primer nipples.  (Read 5486 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ruger Old Army with 209 shotgun primer nipples.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2021, 12:33:50 PM »
Grips for the Blackhawk, Vaquero (NOT New Vaquero), Wrangler, Single Six, Super Single Six and Old Army are all the same.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2021, 12:36:33 PM »
Cool Hawg👍 Thanks

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »
Fantastic write up NE. And I'm glad to see you around these parts again.

I've often wondered why no one has made nipples to fit modern primers in for BP guns. Seems like such an obvious choice to me. If I knew how to use a lathe, I would come up with something like this.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2021, 04:25:58 PM »
I had no idea they even made such a critter. Do these nipples fit other guns beside the ROA? If not, do they make the to fit Pietta, Uberti, etc?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2021, 09:44:54 PM »
Great report and supporting photos, NE. Altogether very interesting and impressive.

Thanks.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2021, 03:37:33 AM »
I love it.

I could do with getting hold of some Pachmayrs for it though ?

They are beautiful revolvers. Love to see a full picture of yours if you have time😊👍 maybe one day I’ll have one😃

There you go.................She's just had a bath in hot soapy water  (7+"

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2021, 03:46:26 AM »

I've often wondered why no one has made nipples to fit modern primers in for BP guns. Seems like such an obvious choice to me. If I knew how to use a lathe, I would come up with something like this.

Hi Dave,

Thanks, it's good to be back and have something to contribute to the forum. Yeah as I say bought them in England after a forced visit to the Isles of Gloom, I don't go unless I absolutely have to !

If you want some Alan at A and A Gunsmiths will send them to the states, as he said to me "They're only screws". I have no doubt once you have some as a pattern a competent local  machine shop would be able to copy them for you ?

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2021, 03:55:17 AM »
I had no idea they even made such a critter. Do these nipples fit other guns beside the ROA? If not, do they make the to fit Pietta, Uberti, etc?

Aye Captain they sure do make 'em.

Yes, yes and yes. Alan at A and A Gunsmiths makes them for both Uberti and Pietta 1858 Remington replicas. They have to have a modified hammer with a "firing pin" set in the hammer for the 1858's. He sells the modified hammers  too.

The Ruger hammer works as is with no alterations.

He also makes them for the Uberti and Pietta "Cattleman" cap and ball "Peacemaker" revolvers too. The hammer works as is.

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2021, 03:57:26 AM »
Great report and supporting photos, NE. Altogether very interesting and impressive.

Thanks.

Thanks GDog  :happy-thumbs-up-050:

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2021, 04:04:28 AM »
Grips for the Blackhawk, Vaquero (NOT New Vaquero), Wrangler, Single Six, Super Single Six and Old Army are all the same.

Thanks

I have managed to locate some on eBay U.S............But he won't send them outside the U.S. Says he can't  :no_no:

They're a pair of rubber grips not a nuclear weapon for Christ's sake !

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2021, 04:43:05 AM »
I love it.

They are beautiful revolvers. Love to see a full picture of yours if you have time😊👍 maybe one day I’ll have one😃

Thank you Necessaryevil!!! She's a beauty!! (7& I can see why you like that revolver :signthankspin: So what takes you to the Isles of Gloom if I may ask? Sounds fascinating to me!

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2021, 04:45:58 AM »

Hi Dave,

Thanks, it's good to be back and have something to contribute to the forum. Yeah as I say bought them in England after a forced visit to the Isles of Gloom, I don't go unless I absolutely have to !

If you want some Alan at A and A Gunsmiths will send them to the states, as he said to me "They're only screws". I have no doubt once you have some as a pattern a competent local  machine shop would be able to copy them for you ?

NE, Would you mind posting a contact for Alan at A an A Gunsmith's? This sounds very interesting :happy-thumbs-up-050:

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2021, 05:23:23 AM »
I love it.

Thank you Necessaryevil!!! She's a beauty!! (7& I can see why you like that revolver :signthankspin: So what takes you to the Isles of Gloom if I may ask? Sounds fascinating to me!

England, the British Isles it's correct title or as I prefer the "Isles of Gloom". I was born there, I lived there for 50 years. As soon as we retired in 2008 we fled to our house in Spain, been here ever since.

Only been back 3 times since then, enforced visits for family reasons. We'd rather not but sometimes needs must ?

A and A Gunsmiths, Lincolnshire England................... https://www.aandagunsmiths.co.uk/

There you go  :happy-thumbs-up-050:

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2021, 05:50:35 AM »
I love it.

England, the British Isles it's correct title or as I prefer the "Isles of Gloom". I was born there, I lived there for 50 years. As soon as we retired in 2008 we fled to our house in Spain, been here ever since.

Only been back 3 times since then, enforced visits for family reasons. We'd rather not but sometimes needs must ?

A and A Gunsmiths, Lincolnshire England................... https://www.aandagunsmiths.co.uk/

There you go  :happy-thumbs-up-050:
Necessaryevil, Good morning, or should say afternoon ? Okay, Isles of Gloom British Isles...  (7+" I was going to google Isles of Gloom but hadn't yet :lol-049:  Glad you saved me the trouble. Thank you for the address of the Gunsmith. :happy-thumbs-up-050: So how do you like living in Spain? I've never been to Spain but I am, a Spain.... L@J
What other cool Irons do you have in the revolver form?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 06:06:10 AM by Zulch »

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.