Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1860 Short Barreled Revolver  (Read 14260 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
1860 Short Barreled Revolver
« on: September 30, 2011, 04:43:55 AM »
I have a lot of 1860s and found myself needing a short barreled one.  While other than 8" barrels were an option from the Colts Factory, I have not found any authenticated ones so I did mine the way I believe most of them were shortened back in the late 1800s.  I took a hacksaw to the barrel and when finished, filed the muzzle square to the bore.  A finer file took care of any burrs in the crown and I was happy for a while.  Then I needed to add a front sight so out came the hacksaw and files to inlet a dovetailed rifle sight.  Plenty of height to file down to hit point of aim!

Eventually, this is what I ended up having as a fun little revolver!

The grips are smooth elk stag from a shed antler picked up in Arizona.  The watch is my National Watch Co, Ryerson model from 1870. 
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline east texas

• View Profile
Re: 1860 Short Barreled Revolver
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:32:37 AM »
straw hat , slick work there! and a damn nice pocket watch too!  how much did accuracy suffer? or didja have a chance to shoot it yet?

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:25:15 AM »
I cut this revolver down about 5 years ago and have shot it plenty.  I have it sighted in at 25 yards.  Accuracy is fine, comparable to what my other C&B revovlers are capable of doing.  As many know, once I get a firearm sighted in, it rarely sees formal paper targets again.  So cans, rocks, groundhogs, etc are my targets of choice and taken whenever they present themselves at whatever range, unless I can stalk in closer.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline east texas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:26:16 PM »
so do you modify all the revolvers so you can get the same sight picture, or do ya just have to remember the nuances of each one individually?

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 02:12:16 PM »
so do you modify all the revolvers so you can get the same sight picture, or do ya just have to remember the nuances of each one individually?

I usually modify the hammer so it presents a square sight picture.  The front sight is normally not too bad for the type of shooting I do, mostly long range stuff.  I needed to add a front sight to the little barrel so I filed it for close work.  But yes, I try to have all my revolvers sighted about the same.  The Dragoon is sighted for longer ranges than the 1860s which are sighted for longer than the Pocket revolvers.  Roughly 100 yards, 75 yards and 25 yards.  Which, for my eyes, means that unless I shorten the barrel, the sights are good as they come from the factory usually.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:45:34 AM by StrawHat »

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline east texas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 03:00:17 AM »
so if a colt was hittin too high at 25 yds, you would make the notch deeper?

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 03:16:02 AM »
so if a colt was hittin too high at 25 yds, you would make the notch deeper?

No, I would change the front sight.  Making the notch deeper only gives you a deeper notch.  Shaving some off the top of the hammer will lower your back sight but it needs to be done so the result is square and perpendicular to the hammer face to give a proper sight picture.  On the hammer, I normally just widen the notch and make it more like the notch on a S&W rear sight.

(Picture, thousand words) This is the hammer sight from a Gregorelli/Uberti 1851, I wish they would have continued to make the hammer this way.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline east texas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 04:04:03 PM »
so im guessin i would have to make the front sight taller? if so , how would i go about that/

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
Either fab & install a new one, or braze material on and file down to suit.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 05:27:11 AM »
so im guessin i would have to make the front sight taller? if so , how would i go about that/

The easiest way I have found is to dovetail a rifle or pistol sight into the barrel.  Such sights are fairly cheap and easily found in ML gunshops.  They also have the advantage of allowing you to make windage adjustments, if needed.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Smokin_Gun

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 01:40:51 AM »
I have a good fix for it ... brass rod at the hardware store coned out to go over the exsisting site .. Oldelms idea andit works ... jst solder it on to front sight ... lookin' for the pic of it... will post for ya...

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 11:51:54 PM »
sho nough purty. almost makes me wanna go on the lookout for another 60 to cut down. gotta get my brass frame remy done first tho.

nice work bubba.
BIGTED

Offline Rigmarol

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
I have a good fix for it ... brass rod at the hardware store coned out to go over the exsisting site .. Oldelms idea andit works ... jst solder it on to front sight ... lookin' for the pic of it... will post for ya...

I'd be interested in doing this on my Dragoons. Eagerly awaiting you pictures and info.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 05:23:02 AM »
The brass rod might work on the little front sight common on the 1851 bit not on the blade sight of the 1860 or 1861s.  you could fabricate a press fit sight but for me, the dovetail is easiest and allows windage corrections.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »
strawhat ... i would admire seeing a closeup of your dovetail sight system. sounds like a "best" kinda system to me as well.
BIGTED