Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Traditions 1860  (Read 10942 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Traditions 1860
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »
Hi Ted, I have two .45LC conversion cylinders (one Howell, one Taylor) for my 1860s, they work great. Get the barrel wedge correctly set up and one can change out a cylinder on the 1860 faster than an 1858 Remington. If you modify a BP revolver with a loading cutout to assist loading cartridges, it then becomes a regulated FFL firearm. My choice was to not add a loading gate type conversion cylinder so as to keep the revolver unregulated. For the 1860, I prefer the Howell over the Taylor conversion cylinder.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »
so is it the ... fit ... finish ... or ...overall quality ... of the two cylinders that make the Howell better in your opinion then the Taylors?

also could you describe what you did with your wedge to make it a bit easier to remove/install and still stay in place when you carry/need it.

thanks ... Ted
BIGTED

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 04:37:56 AM »
so is it the ... fit ... finish ... or ...overall quality ... of the two cylinders that make the Howell better in your opinion then the Taylors?

also could you describe what you did with your wedge to make it a bit easier to remove/install and still stay in place when you carry/need it.

thanks ... Ted

Hi Ted, read this thread:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=360.0

Either heat and bend down the spring of the wedge, or break it off. Finger pressure is all that's required to keep a wedge in, even with firing. I keep the original wedges as is and buy replacements to bugger up.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
Now I like those short 51s in 44 cal.  L@.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »
BTT