Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: No love for the Squareback Navy  (Read 4360 times)

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
No love for the Squareback Navy
« on: November 27, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »
Why aren't the 1851 Navies with the Squareback trigger guard more popular? I've been trying to find a pair of Uberti ones for what feels like ages. It's like they're unobtainium.
"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" - Fletcher

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: No love for the Squareback Navy
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 10:53:45 AM »
Why aren't the 1851 Navies with the Squareback trigger guard more popular? I've been trying to find a pair of Uberti ones for what feels like ages. It's like they're unobtainium.

Personally I don't like them. The first model 51's had square back guards and I guess people back then didn't like them either.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 12:03:01 PM »
Uberti and Pietta didn't make a lot of them to begin with. And I'm not sure about Uberti, but Pietta has since quit making them. That makes them even harder to get. Usually when you do find one, there's a premium on it.

I personally like the way they look. I just don't care for the feel. That triggerguard is hard on my knuckle. Even just cocking the piece, the trigger guard hits my knuckle.

I'm sure it was a design element carried over from the Dragoon. But the Dragoon is a much bigger gun and the guard doesn't hit my finger.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »
Uberti and Pietta didn't make a lot of them to begin with. And I'm not sure about Uberti, but Pietta has since quit making them. That makes them even harder to get. Usually when you do find one, there's a premium on it.

I personally like the way they look. I just don't care for the feel. That triggerguard is hard on my knuckle. Even just cocking the piece, the trigger guard hits my knuckle.

I'm sure it was a design element carried over from the Dragoon. But the Dragoon is a much bigger gun and the guard doesn't hit my finger.

I don't think either of them make them anymore Even the 3rd model dragoons had round guards.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 02:53:48 PM »
I prefer the Third Model.  Never been a fan of square TG's.  Messes up the feng shui of the piece.  Kills the "flow" (wind-water) and hard on knuckles.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 04:22:19 PM »
See I prefer the Square trigger guard. I have Corn fed Mid western farm boy hands. I can make a softball dissappear.  A Walker ACTUALLY fits in my hands. So, I'm more or less curious if the Squareback Navy will work for me.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 05:08:55 PM »
See I prefer the Square trigger guard. I have Corn fed Mid western farm boy hands. I can make a softball dissappear.  A Walker ACTUALLY fits in my hands. So, I'm more or less curious if the Squareback Navy will work for me.

In that case it will probably hurt.

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 06:35:18 PM »
Hawg

Well that's a bummer. They're super pleasant to look at. But I see yo7r point.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 06:40:40 PM »
I'm with you Woodsrunner. I wear size 2X gloves. The Walker and Dragoon grip fits me perfect. As well as the 1860 Army. The Navy grip is just too small. And the squareback makes it even worse for me.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 07:37:20 PM »
ShotgunDave
Yeah, I made the mistake of getting a '62 Navy once. Couldn't even slip my finger into the triggerguard without feeling like I was going set it off. We live n learn.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »
I agree with the above...if you have big hands, you're gonna have issues with the Navy. Moreso with the SB. What you want is the '60 Army "plow handle" grip...room for all 4 fingers and knuckle clearance to boot.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 06:04:00 PM »
So some of you have the square guard hit your fingers?  You are saying a full sized 36 caliber revolver has recoil?  The only 36s I have shot that actually developed noticeable recoil are the pocket models. I don’t seem to notice it in a full sized, or belt model, revolver.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 06:41:44 PM »
I love the look and style of the square back Navy.  I have two.  They are both Second Generation Colts.  One is stainless and is a beauty in its own way

I also have two Uberti copies,  with rounded guards.  Never noticed recoil shooting either the square of rounded trigger guard revolvers.

The Picket jobs I have,  no complaints at all.   :cowboypistol:

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 06:46:25 PM »
I think the gentleman were implying that I might find the grip cramped, rather than the recoil unhealthy.

But I've been wrong before.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 07:05:41 PM »
I think the gentleman were implying that I might find the grip cramped, rather than the recoil unhealthy.

But I've been wrong before.

You are indeed correct. Maybe I used the wrong verbiage before. The squareback trigger guard doesn't hit my knuckle so much as crowd it. The guard is pressed firmly against my middle finger. It's not comfortable at all. And even with the light recoil of the .36 caliber Navy, it's not pleasant. The round trigger guard doesn't bother me at all.
-Abe Lincoln