Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Early 1851 Civilian Model  (Read 4050 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Early 1851 Civilian Model
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:30:20 AM »
Here is an early version of the 1851 as manufactured by Greggorelli and Uberti, and marketed by Navy Arms.

No shield cuts, no cut in the grip strap, no fourth screw, nothing to allow the attachment of a shoulder stock.

There are no safety pins in the cylinder and the hammer does not have the cut for them.  It does have a nice square notch for the rear sight.

This revolver has a couple of things missing, no cylinder engraving and no date stamp.  I don't recall when Uberti stopped including Gregorelli in the stamping but it was not very long after the replica industry got going in the 50s.  A nice unfired specimen.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:56:08 AM by StrawHat »
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Early 1851 Civilian Model
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 09:24:24 AM »
Nice one Strawhat.  Very collectable.  GU was arounf for about 5 years IIRC, '59 to '64.  What's the date code on this one? or is there not one?  I have a pair of GU Griswold & Gunnisons with 4 digit serial numbers.  One is date code 1960, the other has none and has a lower serial number.  Figure that one was at least a '60 model and could be a '59.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 04:55:27 AM »
No date code on this revolver anywhere.  The serial is 12xx so not real low but lower than a 5 digit.  I was guessing the late 50s but not sure of actual production dates for GU.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:55:14 AM »
My undated GU is SN 10XX.  The 1960 marked one is 17XX.  I'd surmise yours is a '59 or '60 model
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce