Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Modern black powder 1873 SAA options?  (Read 4969 times)

Offline sidpost

• View Profile
Modern black powder 1873 SAA options?
« on: January 24, 2022, 08:39:14 AM »
What's the current state of the 1873 SAA Black Powder market these days?  Are good quality classic 1873 patterns available today for reasonable money?  Where are the better places to shop?

TIA,
Sid

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Modern black powder 1873 SAA options?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 09:03:41 AM »
sidpost, what specific caliber are you looking for? .45LC, .44-40, 38spl ??

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 09:09:22 AM »
About the only place that has anything in stock is Gunbroker. Plenty of NIB items for sale, but you have to know caliber, barrel length, etc before you search.
BTW, Welcome to Colt Country!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 09:27:06 AM »
I MIGHT know a fellow that has a Cimarron 1873 SAA in .45 Colt  with a 7 inch barrel that's just collecting dust. The same fellow MIGHT even be willing to scrounge up some new brass for it too. If that somebody's ticket, I'll ask him when I see him this week. See what he wants for it.
"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" - Fletcher

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 10:15:38 AM »
That's awesome Woodsrunner79! Maybe he will want to sell.  :-*

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 10:54:17 AM »
Capt is right. About the only place I've seen any SAA's in on Gunbroker. There have even been a couple of the cap and ball variations on there too.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 11:32:52 AM »
Cimarron is getting a few in from time to time. I talk to them at least every other week. Just got 2 72 Open Tops for the shop from them a week ago. So......the flow is starting, just a trickle right now...but I'm hoping it picks up quickly. Art at Davidson's in Prescott calls any time he gets anything in too......so there is some activity out there.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline sidpost

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 06:45:41 AM »
sidpost, what specific caliber are you looking for? .45LC, .44-40, 38spl ??

I have a preference for a classic 45 Colt but, would be happy with a 44 Spl.  I want a large heavy bullet at reasonable velocity (~800FPS or more) from a case that is easy to source and common.  I don't think the 38 Spcl and similar options would provide the impact thump I want (not a fan of 38 Spl centerfire on anything but paper).

Offline sidpost

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 06:47:38 AM »
I MIGHT know a fellow that has a Cimarron 1873 SAA in .45 Colt  with a 7 inch barrel that's just collecting dust. The same fellow MIGHT even be willing to scrounge up some new brass for it too. If that somebody's ticket, I'll ask him when I see him this week. See what he wants for it.

Thanks!  I was hoping for something in the 5 1/2" range but, a 7" option would be fine too.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 07:13:57 AM »
I have a preference for a classic 45 Colt but, would be happy with a 44 Spl.  I want a large heavy bullet at reasonable velocity (~800FPS or more) from a case that is easy to source and common.  I don't think the 38 Spcl and similar options would provide the impact thump I want (not a fan of 38 Spl centerfire on anything but paper).

Hmm. Sounds like I was on track after all.
From your description, .45 sounds like the ticket. I highly recommend a 250gr lead bullet. If you are planning on buying ammo, Black Hills .45LC would be in your wheelhouse. If loading your own, the world's your oyster. I've had good luck loading 35gr 3F powder behind a 250gr pill.

Offline sidpost

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 07:24:54 AM »

Hmm. Sounds like I was on track after all.
From your description, .45 sounds like the ticket. I highly recommend a 250gr lead bullet. If you are planning on buying ammo, Black Hills .45LC would be in your wheelhouse. If loading your own, the world's your oyster. I've had good luck loading 35gr 3F powder behind a 250gr pill.

Yep, NAILED IT!

I can reload but, for the quantity I will shoot it, initially at first at least, I expect to buy a case of quality loads like you suggest if for no other reason than to give me cases to work with.

I have reloading gear for other calibers so, that is definitely an option.

Offline sidpost

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 07:43:15 AM »
Is there any reason to have a preference for a Pietti over an Uberti?  I also want a classic action so, I would prefer to avoid the transfer bars and modified hammer solutions.  I'm really thinking "classic" not, modified classic.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 07:44:48 AM »
Yes. Right now .45LC cases are pretty much 'unobtanium', and black powder and primers are hit and miss as well. The bad news is...so is the Black Hills ammo. :nocomment:

I would go to the various websites that sell the Black Hills ammo and put it on your Notify Me list so when it does become available, you can swoop if up before somebody else does. And they will.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 08:51:50 AM »
Is there any reason to have a preference for a Pietti over an Uberti?  I also want a classic action so, I would prefer to avoid the transfer bars and modified hammer solutions.  I'm really thinking "classic" not, modified classic.

I think it's just personal preference Sid. The Uberti guns have a higher fit and finish if that helps. I believe they have more models available too. I am like you, I don't care for the moderen transfer bar on a SAA.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sidpost

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 09:00:43 AM »

I think it's just personal preference Sid. The Uberti guns have a higher fit and finish if that helps. I believe they have more models available too. I am like you, I don't care for the moderen transfer bar on a SAA.

Thanks!   (@+