Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Show Off Your Pipes!  (Read 6868 times)

Offline Len

• View Profile
Re: Show Off Your Pipes!
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2022, 01:29:34 PM »
I recognize number 4, with the long stem (of rowan, methinks). It's German. They were sold in great numbers, as dug out of the ruins in Hamburg and such places, after WWII. Sold in flee markets in the 1950ieths

Len, thanks. So you are thinking vintage late 40's possibly? Interesting. I will look for markings on it. I didn't even consider that when taking picture.
Well, the WWII ended in May 1945 for the European theatre. So the debris began earlier. The pipe must have been from the 1930ieths or earlier.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2022, 01:35:58 PM »
Roger that Len. Even more interesting. The other Bavarian looking one with the hinged cap belonged to my long since deceased Grandfather, his daughter brought that back from Germany in the 1950's. My  cousins beat me too it, meaning, smoking it. Unfortunately, they were so eager to sneak around and smoke that they grabbed the nearest thing resembling tobacco in our grandmothers spice rack. They loaded it with oregano of all things. 

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2022, 01:37:19 PM »
Really cool pipes Tim. I really like the carved head Meerschaum. I gotta get me one like that someday. I've always wanted one.

I have one similar to that 3 piece job you have. My mom bought it for me in Italy when her and my step dad vacationed there. I'll dig it out and get a pic.

Thank you Dave. I really would like to see the one you mentioned. Cool.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2022, 02:17:08 PM »
Roger that Len. Even more interesting. The other Bavarian looking one with the hinged cap belonged to my long since deceased Grandfather, his daughter brought that back from Germany in the 1950's. My  cousins beat me too it, meaning, smoking it. Unfortunately, they were so eager to sneak around and smoke that they grabbed the nearest thing resembling tobacco in our grandmothers spice rack. They loaded it with oregano of all things.

Probably better than rabbit tobacco.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2022, 04:26:04 PM »
Nice collection Tim! Great selection of Germans. You can fix tht broken meerschaum with a little time and patience. I've repaired several that I resold after I fixed them. Super glue is your friend. You just need a good quality glue like Stewmac.... Here's a link...

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/glue-and-adhesive/glues/stewmac-super-glues/stewmac-tinted-super-glue/?msclkid=8c537932c9fa13ed3ba118c1febe87b4&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CP%20%7C%20MF%20%7C%20BNG%20%7C%20SHOP%20%7C%20NBR%20%7C%20All%20Products&utm_term=4578572614422299&utm_content=All%20Products
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2022, 06:46:55 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thank ya Hawg. Ya killin me🤣.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2022, 06:51:20 PM »
Mick . Thank you man. I will check the link out. Regarding the meerschaum, what about the stripped threads in the mouthpiece portion. The female thread. Are you saying to just glue it back as is? I appreciate you giving me advice as I don’t know much about pipes accept I enjoy a good pipe tobacco .

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2022, 08:06:14 PM »
Somebody say pipes? (7+"

I wanna set of pipes like hawg!!!! :hurry:
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2022, 09:17:03 PM »
Mick . Thank you man. I will check the link out. Regarding the meerschaum, what about the stripped threads in the mouthpiece portion. The female thread. Are you saying to just glue it back as is? I appreciate you giving me advice as I don’t know much about pipes accept I enjoy a good pipe tobacco .

On the stem threads....you need to build them up with the super glue. You don't need to get all of them....the top 2 or 3 threads usually suffice.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2022, 09:57:39 PM »
My dad smoked a pipe but he never had anything fancy.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2022, 05:20:38 AM »

On the stem threads....you need to build them up with the super glue. You don't need to get all of them....the top 2 or 3 threads usually suffice.

Thanks Mick. I understand.