Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cappers, Do you use one?  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Cappers, Do you use one?
« on: January 26, 2022, 05:51:00 AM »
So, just curious what anyone out there might think about cappers in genera? Do you find them helpful or a nuisance or have no opinion?  I've read several different opinions on other forums. Old subject? Maybe, but to new aspiring BP enthusiasts the more seasoned vets could help the newer folks out with some sound advice. What I noticed with myself getting into this fun sport was that I read and read and read. I found myself buying stuff that was not necessarily needed. I purchased a capper myself and to me it seems to be just an extra thing to keep up with. Just my opinion. I would appreciate anyone telling me what they think (from experience) and or recommend? Best practices if you will? Please, share your thoughts and experiences with those who may not be as experienced. Thanks

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Cappers, Do you use one?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 07:31:22 AM »
Do I have cappers? Yes. Two different inlines...one standard and one short. Do I use them? Truthfully, not really. They are a complete PITA to load, scratch the finish, don't clear the nipple cutouts on Remingtons and are generally irritating. I find it much more convenient to cap with the fingers and seat with a short wooden dowel. I suppose the Safety Police will be all over me for that but it's the way it is...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 08:16:53 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Cap, just the kind of info I wanted. I do know there are those who swear by them. Maybe some will chime in on this. We will see. Tiny

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:50:08 AM »
I'm the exact opposite of Capt. I use my Polish Capper all the time. I have big sausage fingers. So capping by hand is a royal pain for me. Fumbling around with the cap is frustrating. I also find that loading the capper is simple. Dump the caps in, shake it until they're all right side up, and away you go.

I even made a little holster for it, so I can carry it on my belt.

I tried the other cappers too. But didn't have much success. The straight line cappers are useless to me. If the little spring steel fingers get out of whack at all, the caps are dumping out all over the place. And when capping the pistol, more than one seems to always come out.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 10:00:30 AM »
I carry one in my possibles bag to cap my rifle with when it's cold. I tried it on a revolver once but didn't care for it. I still had to use my thumb to fully seat them.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 10:36:44 AM »
Like Capt'n I got two in-line cappers. One has a modified front (Dremeled) to fit the Remies. But I seldom use them. I made a wodden thingie, one end for putting the cap on the nipple, the other en is a dowel

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 10:46:02 AM »
I'm the exact opposite of Capt. I use my Polish Capper all the time. I have big sausage fingers. So capping by hand is a royal pain for me. Fumbling around with the cap is frustrating. I also find that loading the capper is simple. Dump the caps in, shake it until they're all right side up, and away you go.

I even made a little holster for it, so I can carry it on my belt.

I tried the other cappers too. But didn't have much success. The straight line cappers are useless to me. If the little spring steel fingers get out of whack at all, the caps are dumping out all over the place. And when capping the pistol, more than one seems to always come out.

Dave, hey thanks man. i have the  straight line type and I understand what you mean. I have not seen the Polish capper?? Why is it better to you? I would like to know because maybe I should try that one. I do not have fat fingers but I am open to advice for sure. By the way, that's some nice leatherwork there Dave,  Thank you.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 10:50:02 AM »
I carry one in my possibles bag to cap my rifle with when it's cold. I tried it on a revolver once but didn't care for it. I still had to use my thumb to fully seat them.

Hawg, Thank you sir. So, good for your rifle and not preferred for the revolver? Have you ever used the Polish capper that Dave uses? Like to hear more about it.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 10:53:02 AM »
Like Capt'n I got two in-line cappers. One has a modified front (Dremeled) to fit the Remies. But I seldom use them. I made a wooden thingie, one end for putting the cap on the nipple, the other en is a dowel

Len,  Thanks man. Did you make them yourself. Those are nice looking. I like the idea of the capper on one end and the dowel on the other end. That seems efficient to me. Thank you for posting the pictures.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 10:57:02 AM »

Hawg, Thank you sir. So, good for your rifle and not preferred for the revolver? Have you ever used the Polish capper that Dave uses? Like to hear more about it.

Tim, I know Mike116 and several others here use the PC and love it. I will probably try one eventually. They are a bit pricey, especially for something I may not use.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 11:00:33 AM »

When you have cold fingers or are wearing gloves they're nice to have but I don't care for them with a revolver. If it's that cold out I'm not going to be doing much recreational shooting. I have heard nothing but good about the Polish cappers but they're a little spendy for me.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 11:00:44 AM »
Thanks Cap. That case it comes in is nice!! Pricey like? How much pricey? Maybe Dave could make me a little pouch to carry it in. It do look smart!!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 11:05:32 AM »
They're about 50 bucks Z.  https://www.polishcappers.com/en/products/universal-capper-made-by-polish-cappers-model-pcc-for-over-150-percussion-caps-11.html

thanks Hawg, it tis uh little pricey. see what you mean. Thanks for the link Hawg. You rock.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 11:43:01 AM »
Here Tim. Some light reading for you. A big thread we had on the Polish Capper. Should tell ya everything ya want to know.

https://coltcountryforum.com/index.php/topic,4176.15.html
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln