Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1858 'Sheriff' Conversion  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
1858 'Sheriff' Conversion
« on: February 01, 2022, 04:52:40 PM »
OK, I couldn't decide whether to put this in the Remington section or the Conversion section...but since it's a Remington, well...now you know.
I purchased this Pietta 1858 Remington Sheriff model new from Cabela's...when you could still do that sort of thing...about 10-12 years ago brand new, for around $200.00, and the Big Brown Truck dropped it on my door step. I shot it a few times;  "barky little thing", was my first impression! Anyway, being as how it was a post-2002 CAM/CAD gun, I decided a Taylor's drop in might be fun. I wanted the Taylor's because it was a true six shot, no messing with the timing or shortening of the hand needed. My buddy Steve had one and I tried it out on my sheriff. Drop in was perfect so I ordered one.
Then I got to thinking rather than search for expensive Cowboy loads, I would load my own using the Holy Black, which turned out to be easy as falling off a log. So I took it up north last summer and was immediately astounded at how well it shot, and even though I wasn't shooting at paper, I hit everything I was pointing at. And the cloud of smoke and flame wasn't half-bad either! So good, in fact, that I decided to box up the C&B cylinder and leave this one a conversion.

So, here she is, in all her glory...

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 05:53:50 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: 1858 'Sheriff' Conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 05:46:42 PM »
Cool. Congrats on a fine little popper. Those drop-in cylinders are perfect for a Rem. I don't know how the new ones compare but that vintage is certainly good.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 05:49:47 PM »
This would be my preferred way to have a Remington. You just might have lit a fire under me Capt.

I like everything about that one. Short barrel, conversion.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 05:50:06 PM »
Cool. Congrats on a fine little popper. Those drop-in cylinders are perfect for a Rem. I don't know how the new ones compare but that vintage is certainly good.

They are, Marshal. Swap takes seconds, and no modifications to the gun are needed.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 05:51:16 PM »
This would be my preferred way to have a Remington. You just might have lit a fire under me Capt.

I like everything about that one. Short barrel, conversion.

Yep, everything about it just works, Dave.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 06:09:19 PM »

They are, Marshal. Swap takes seconds, and no modifications to the gun are needed.
Great fun, too. I shot a whole two-day yearly match one time with one Remmie and two cylinders. It was a Pale Rider match for me. I didn't place for beans but I did have a pile of fun.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 10:58:39 AM »
Nice conversion Cap . Been wanting to convert my navy Rem but the barrel dimensions have me slowed up a bit.

Will,  that looks short and I would love to see it.  I have three snubbed and like them a lot!

BIGTED

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 01:37:08 PM »
That one isn't all that short. It's been clipped at 6". It made a good match pistol at that length. Surprisingly enough, in my opinion it balances way better than factory ones with 5-1/2" barrels. I replaced the original front sight with a stainless one. I used that for many years of CAS matches. This is the only photo I can find of it.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 03:41:47 PM »
Don’t know how missed this post when it was originally created Cap. That is a nice looking setup there. Ill be danged if I ain’t jealous!!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2023, 06:29:09 PM »
Nice conversion Cap . Been wanting to convert my navy Rem but the barrel dimensions have me slowed up a bit.

Yeah, you will most likely have to go with a heeled boolit on that one, BigTed. .375 with a heel of .357 loaded up in .38spl brass.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 06:30:59 PM »
That one isn't all that short. It's been clipped at 6". It made a good match pistol at that length. Surprisingly enough, in my opinion it balances way better than factory ones with 5-1/2" barrels. I replaced the original front sight with a stainless one. I used that for many years of CAS matches. This is the only photo I can find of it.

Yes, I've heard that before that the 6" is slightly better balanced. Although the 5.5" is pretty darn sweet as-is.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 06:31:56 PM »
Don’t know how missed this post when it was originally created Cap. That is a nice looking setup there. Ill be danged if I ain’t jealous!!

Pay attention!!!!! :nocomment:

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 10:21:24 PM »
Yes, I've heard that before that the 6" is slightly better balanced. Although the 5.5" is pretty darn sweet as-is.
You wouldn't think a half an inch would be very noticeable but it is. And, yes, the 5-1/2" ones are pretty darn good in their own right. LOL, that one was shortened just before the 5-1/2" ones were released.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 05:33:38 AM »

That is one nice looking gun there Marshal and the fact that it's a conversion makes even more interesting to me.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 06:56:13 AM »
That is one nice looking gun there Marshal and the fact that it's a conversion makes even more interesting to me.
Thanks, Z. The beauty of a drop-in conversion cylinder is that it doesn't change the gun at all. With the Remington design, switching them is easy and quick. You could even shoot one cylinder with cartridges then switch to a BP cylinder and shoot that. Or the other way around.