Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Colt Experimental New Model Army Prototype  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Colt Experimental New Model Army Prototype
« on: February 24, 2022, 12:25:07 PM »
When Colt started thinking of making a .44 version of their popular Navy pistol, the 1851, they built one experimental pistol to prove it would work. I posted a photo of the original pistol in another thread and thought it would be good to start a thread on it. In fact, this article is where I got that photo. I thought others might enjoy reading about a replica one man made of it.

Here's one photo of the pistol from that article. This pistol is absolutely beautiful. Maybe one of these days I'll get inspired to make one myself.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Colt Experimental New Model Army Prototype
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 01:00:50 PM »
Wow Marshal that is a good read. Thanks for the (missing)... link LOL. Just kidding. That guy spent some time making that it sounds. I can imagine him worrying about making a mistake in the process and the only other alternative would be to start over again. I had no idea that the 1860 was, generally speaking,  based off the 1851. I thank you for posting this. New guy (me) learning from BP veteran guy (you). Awesome. Much thanks.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 01:28:39 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the article, Z. This particular Colt is my absolute favorite. The replica he made makes it possible for a non-collector like me to have it.

Interestingly enough, there was a shipment of 500 1860 Colt Army pistols sold to the Confederacy at the beginning of the war. They all had full fluted cylinders. They were the only 1860's ever to be sold to the Confederacy. In spite of the new stronger steel, the cylinders were still weak and a few of them failed.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 02:21:04 PM »
Wow! Cool stuff!!!   

Doc Holiday carried a somewhat experimental/prototype 77 Lightning. I can't recall the exact serial number but I believe it was in the first 40 made. It had no extractor tube.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 02:48:22 PM »
Wow! Cool stuff!!!   

Doc Holiday carried a somewhat experimental/prototype 77 Lightning. I can't recall the exact serial number but I believe it was in the first 40 made. It had no extractor tube.
Thanks. I knew he had a '77 lightning but wasn't aware it was such an early one and ejectorless. Those little DAs are quite a pistol.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 03:10:11 PM »
Cool beans! I don't think I've ever seen that one before.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2022, 04:05:25 PM »
We've got a 77 in the shop...1887 production so a little later. It's ejectorless as well. My guess is that it'll sell before I go back next week. The thing looks brand new.....

If it's still there I'll get a pic....if I can remember.....
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2022, 04:40:10 PM »
Cool beans! I don't think I've ever seen that one before.
I really like the way they rounded the barrel and top of the chamber end of it. That alone makes that pistol look great.

We've got a 77 in the shop...1887 production so a little later. It's ejectorless as well. My guess is that it'll sell before I go back next week. The thing looks brand new.....

If it's still there I'll get a pic....if I can remember.....
I'd love to see a pic of it if you are able. 1887 is only 10 years into the production run. They made them for over 30 years. That would be a real classic. What barrel length is that one? They were made from 2" to 6".

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 04:50:42 PM »
I can't remember...but guessing it would be around 4"
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 04:54:28 PM »
Wow! Cool stuff!!!   

Thanks. I knew he had a '77 lightning but wasn't aware it was such an early one and ejectorless. Those little DAs are quite a pistol.

Yup....they look incredible.....functionality was another thing. They had issues.
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 05:06:15 PM »
Wow! Cool stuff!!!   

Yup....they look incredible.....functionality was another thing. They had issues.
Yeah, I guess the inner parts were kind of flimsy. If you could replace them with parts made from modern materials they would be awesome.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 07:24:03 PM »
You learn something every day!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 09:18:06 PM »
Wow! Cool stuff!!!   

Yeah, I guess the inner parts were kind of flimsy. If you could replace them with parts made from modern materials they would be awesome.

Probably, but the workings are still really finicky. It's hard to find a gunsmith that'll even touch 'em. Other than that, they are elegant. I know I'd love to have one, especially this one.
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 09:55:36 PM »
Wow! Cool stuff!!!   

Probably, but the workings are still really finicky. It's hard to find a gunsmith that'll even touch 'em. Other than that, they are elegant. I know I'd love to have one, especially this one.
Yeah. They sure fit the hand, tough. What a great grip shape. Colts always feel good, though, no matter what vintage.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2022, 03:09:12 AM »
Hello Guys,

I knew they made a .40 caliber in 1858, but never heard of the .44 caliber.

AntiqueSledMan.