Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: 1911 .22 Pistols  (Read 4996 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
1911 .22 Pistols
« on: July 27, 2019, 04:24:35 PM »
Hey guys and gals,

I don't see anyone posting their 1911 .22 guns. I want to hear about the Colt Ace, Service Ace with the David "Carbine" Williams floating chamber, and any other 1911 framed guns with aftermarket top ends such JA Ciener, Marvel, and others that you folks might own.

I'll start.

In 2013 I bought an Olympic Arms Matchmaster stripped frame in the white at a local gun show for $150, and had to wait for it to clear FBI checks for a week. It used to have a "hook" on the lower front of the trigger guard bow, but it was a factory second with gas casting bubbles in that area (as denoted by the "K" above the serial number and on the top of the TG, which made it a "kit" frame) and I removed it.  I used a 1992 JA Ciener top end with a 15-round mag (I wish I has bought 2 mags at the time!), and the parts I used were from SARCO, Numrich, Wolff, and Hogue. Much fitting was involved with the frame parts, sear, hammer, 3-leaf sear spring, and I went with a Wolff 19# mainspring as it was a blowback .22. Hogue supplied a pair of smooth rosewood grip panels. After all the fitting and polishing, I took it to Olympic Arms in Lacey WA (about an hour's drive from my domicile) and had them park the frame and the MSH (in light grey). I got it back the next day UPS. Since all of the parts were fitted previously, it all went together in about 1/2 hour. It has fixed sights but is very accurate out to 50 yards. The gun action is as smooth as a baby's butt and it has a nice crisp 4# trigger.

C'mon, let's hear from others!

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
Re: 1911 .22 Pistols
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 05:18:08 PM »
I've got an Ace conversion unit.  Beautiful looking, but never found it super accurate.  Had to keep the floating chamber clean for it to run IIRC.

Also have an Advantage Arms conversion that's on semi-permanent loan to a friend with three young daughters.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 05:28:38 PM »
Although I have never owned or shot a floating chamber 1911 .22, I have heard the same as you describe. I have heard that the Advantage Arms unit is a good one.

Thanks for the reply!

Jim

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 01:54:33 AM »
I have been thinking of getting a .22 conversion kit for my Norinco 1911 A1. Obviously it was originally a .45acp but I also have a 9mm top end for it too, that's the blued slide.

I have two problems.

1, Which is the best .22 kit in terms of reliability and accuracy ?

2, It also depends what's available here in Spain ?

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 05:48:54 AM »

I have two problems.

1, Which is the best .22 kit in terms of reliability and accuracy ?

2, It also depends what's available here in Spain ?

The Bullseye guys and gals think highly of the Marvel and Nelson units.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 07:13:45 AM »
Hi, I had a Marvel .22 conversion for the 1911. The 50yd test target that shipped with the conversion has a 5/8" group. It was wonderfully accurate. I sent out the barrel to have the muzzle threaded. When the NY Safe act became law, any firearm with a muzzle threaded was considered to be an assault weapon that could never be transferred or sold. I had to sell my Marvel conversion and have regretted doing so to this day.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »
Hi, I had a Marvel .22 conversion for the 1911. The 50yd test target that shipped with the conversion has a 5/8" group. It was wonderfully accurate. I sent out the barrel to have the muzzle threaded. When the NY Safe act became law, any firearm with a muzzle threaded was considered to be an assault weapon that could never be transferred or sold. I had to sell my Marvel conversion and have regretted doing so to this day.

Regards,
Richard

Would that thread have been 1/2"x20 UNEF per chance ?....................For a "muzzle brake" ? ;)

Supressors are illegal on firearms here in Spain. A TEXAN friend of mine here has a rat problem on his property because he keeps hens, fabulous eggs ! He has a Browning Buckmark .22lr.

We managed to source a slip on 12"x20 UNEF adapter for a "muzzle break".

"muzzle breaks" for .22 AIR GUNS are not illegal and freely sold here.

Wow let me tell you that Browning is soooooo quiet with an AIR GUN "muzzle brake" screwed on the end &h(

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll check them out.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 11:11:20 AM by Necessaryevil »

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »
I bought a Ciener conversion set-up for my 1911 several years ago. Haven't used it much lately.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 03:22:53 PM »
I just found this 2012 video this morning. Quite a unique idea IMHO. I have several questions about it and have emailed the inventor, hopefully to get a reply if it still a viable address.

The barrel bore must be off-center in order to use .45 firing pin on the rimfire .22. The magazine is shown to be loaded on the left side of its divider. I also wonder if the 23# .45 mainspring is used, as that seems a bit hefty even for a blowback design (the barrel does not have the toggle to delay the slide opening) with a steel slide. The stamped sheet steel piece over the barrel rear must be the extractor/ejector.

Comments?

Regards,

Jim

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 04:21:51 PM »
I don't have one but I want one.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »
That does look good. Price? I bought a Ciener a few years ago; at that time I think that might have been the only option other than the Ace ($$). I had called him with a question and he answered with a snide response. I haven't shot mine in a couple of years, the last shot-lock open doesn't bother me that much.