Black Powder Pistols > Open Tops

Richards Mason Conversion replicas

(1/15) > >>

Zulch:
So, on the pictured replicas here, I've noticed that the ejector rod was exposed between the end of the ejector housing and the breech of the barrel on one of these photos and the other is not. What's the deal with that? Was one an earlier prototype and the other newer style?

Hawg:
The top one is a Richards conversion. The bottom is a Richards Mason conversion AKA 1872 open top.

Zulch:

--- Quote from: Hawg on March 08, 2022, 08:51:37 AM ---The top one is a Richards conversion. The bottom is a Richards Mason conversion AKA 1872 open top.

--- End quote ---
So that’s the difference. Do you personally have a preference? Conversion or Open Top? I like the look of the conversion myself.

Miguel Loco:
I believe the Richards Conversions used bits and pieces from the huge stock of left over percussion components. The loading gate assembly  required milling off about 1/2" of the frame and is screwed in place. Also the lug under the barrel still shows where the loading lever had been, the Open Top is smoothed out more. Hope that made sense....

Zulch:

--- Quote from: Miguel Loco on March 08, 2022, 09:15:55 AM ---I believe the Richards Conversions used bits and pieces from the huge stock of left over percussion components. The loading gate assembly  required milling off about 1/2" of the frame and is screwed in place. Also the lug under the barrel still shows where the loading lever had been, the Open Top is smoothed out more. Hope that made sense....

--- End quote ---
Mick, thank you for your explanation. They’re both very nice to me. I’m more partial to the conversion. It appears to me that the wedge is slightly more accessible on the conversion?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version