Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Tools of the Trade...  (Read 1460 times)

Offline brownie

• View Profile
Tools of the Trade...
« on: March 16, 2022, 06:20:42 PM »
Assuming I got the photo load correctly, here are a few tools that I have found useful. Since I've never done any poking around forums before, not sure if they are redundant.

The two brushes are small hog bristle toll brushes commonly found at any art/ hobby store. I've shortened and rounded the bristles a little. They are superb for cleaning the back wall of each chamber where the nipple pokes through. Much better than a jag with a cotton patch on it.

Further note the wire with the curious end. It works well for pulling caps off of nipples, or fishing fragments of caps out of where they shouldn't be.
At first I used my pocket knife, but soon realized that I was being a danger to the finish of my guns, as well as myself. The wire is about .075, and fairly soft steel with a flattened end turned 90 degrees. I then used a small needle file to file a radius approximating the curve of the nipple.

So there's a couple of my tricks, if anyone can use them, or,...... if you can improve on them let us know.
Brownie

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Tools of the Trade...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 06:45:58 PM »
Those are great ideas Brownie. I specially like the little prybar for the caps. I'm going to make myself one of those.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tools of the Trade...
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 06:46:23 PM »
Dang brownie!! I like that brush idea for the back of the cylinders !! That’s an awesome idea. I’m going to hobby lobby this weekend and get some brushes. I’m serious . Thank you 👍👍 Tim