Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Found another one  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
Found another one
« on: March 20, 2022, 10:40:31 AM »
On another trip last week to my favorite muzzleloading shop(Dixon's), there lay a used Rogers & Spencer circa 1988. I believe it is a "London Gray" model as it is bare steel and there isn't a trace of bluing anywhere. The gun looks lightly used--but not cleaned for a long time. The price was more than I wanted to pay($500) and I hesitated until my wife said "Listen stupid, its your birthday, its only money and I'll buy it for you--Happy Birthday!"I have always wanted a London Gray and the last one I saw for sale was about 1998, NIB, and in that same shop on the exact same shelf! It was Fate! Anyway, the barrel has cleaned up nicely but it has taken a week of soaking/tapping to finally get the nipples out this morning. I have it apart right now--nice and clean inside, no wear and a tight, crisp action. I usually don't go on like this about a gun purchase but I am a Rogers & Spencer fancier and can't turn one down. I'm trying to find more information about the London Gray models made by Euroarms. Sorry for no pictures yet, my wife is going to post some for me soon. Thanks for listening.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 08:33:44 AM by Navy Six »
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Found another one
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 11:41:42 AM »
Sounds like a great deal Navy Six. Look forward to the pictures.

I had one of the London Gray models and it was engraved. Does yours have the engraving on it?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:02:24 PM by ShotgunDave »
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Online Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 11:57:58 AM »
Woohoo, happy birthday Navy6, great wife too it sounds👍👍

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2022, 05:26:06 PM »
London Grey was only available for a few years, and I agree...it looks superb. Mine is the standard blued model.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 08:30:04 AM »
Shotgun Dave, no engraving on this one. I saw the picture you previously posted and wondered about the engraving. I haven't seen a factory engraved Rogers & Spencer but that doesn't mean they don't exist. The finish on this gun almost--but not quite-- appears like a modern polished stainless steel gun. I remember thinking the London Gray models appeared like a slightly matt finish, but again its been a while since I saw one in person. This gun shows very little wear and no evidence of refinishing. Either way, I'm happy.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 09:11:15 AM »
I've never seen another engraved one either Navy Six. That's why I asked if yours was. It's also why I still kick myself for letting that one go.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln