Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Latest Acquisition  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Latest Acquisition
« on: March 30, 2022, 07:31:20 AM »
    So, I have this Uberti, Richards Conversion? Richards Mason Conversion? or a little of both? It is a .38 spec. with an 8" barrel, steel backstrap and trigger guard. The vendor advertises it as an 1860 Richards Mason. Uberti calls this model "9054" an "1860 Richards Army" yes, that's correct, and it is available in .38SP. – .44Colt – .44SP. – .45LC. http://www.ubertireplicas.com/product/1860-richards-army/
I chose the .38 spec. simply because the ammo is somewhat cheaper than the other calibers. Generally speaking, I do prefer the larger calibers but as I've said, I am cheap. I also have been doing a lot of reading lately in various gun articles (graciously provided by Capt. Kirk) and also on other forums as well as CC. I know that these are replicas and so, the Italians can do whatever they wish. It seems that a number of 1861's were converted back in the day by Colt to accept cartridges in .38 cal. So I guess this is more like and 1861 Navy? Anyway, it is a very nice replica. The ejector housing/mechanism seems a little flimsy but the rest of the gun is very nice. A quote from another forum on identifying the differences between the Richards Conversion and the Richards Mason
" Raised rear sight on breech plate, spring loaded firing pin, complicated ejector assembly - Richards Conversion."
" Firing pin on hammer, small notch on the hammer for a rear sight, simple ejector assembly mounted on the side of the barrel lug - Richards-Mason Conversion."
" Firing pin on hammer, rear sight on barrel - Open Top."   

Maybe this is a rather generalized identification process stated in the quote. but it's a start for me. Just wanted to share.

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
Re: Latest Acquisition
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 07:47:55 AM »
Looks fabulous, have you shot it yet, if so what does it shoot like ?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 08:01:16 AM »
Thank you NE...I have not had the opportunity yet. I need to purchase some ammo and am looking forward to it. I will certainly report as soon as i can. 

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 08:18:59 AM »
Congratulations on a fine purchase. In .38 Spl that would be an 1861 conversion if it had the navy grips.

Being .38 Spl, it will also take .38 Long Colt, which would be more historically accurate. I hear there are some available retail but maybe the best way to go with that is to reload your own. In your bore, you wouldn't need heeled bullets so reloading would be easy. Although a bit anemic, the .38LC can be fun to shoot. For CAS, it could have difficulty with knock-down targets, though. But what the heck, it's all about the fun, anyway.

Looking forward to hearing how it shoots.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 08:28:11 AM »
You already know how I feel about it. I'm jealous.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 08:33:45 AM »
Congratulations on a fine purchase. In .38 Spl that would be an 1861 conversion if it had the navy grips.

Being .38 Spl, it will also take .38 Long Colt, which would be more historically accurate. I hear there are some available retail but maybe the best way to go with that is to reload your own. In your bore, you wouldn't need heeled bullets so reloading would be easy. Although a bit anemic, the .38LC can be fun to shoot. For CAS, it could have difficulty with knock-down targets, though. But what the heck, it's all about the fun, anyway.

Marshal, thank you sir. I appreciate your comments.  :usa-flag-89: Would you say it's safe to say it's a conglomerate of a revolver seein how it really isn't "historically accurate"?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 08:35:57 AM »
You already know how I feel about it. I'm jealous.
Dave, you have so many more cool guns than I?? Jealous??  Pfft!! Thanks for your comment though.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 08:46:26 AM »
Yep, that's a looker! Since you're not going to be knocking down silhouettes with it, .38SPL or .38 Long Colt will be just fine. And should you decide to go down a rabbit hole, reloading for that cart should be fairly simple, though a number of vendors are showing 'IN STOCK' for ammunition for this, including Buffalo Arms and Midway. My suggestion would be to stick with Cowboy Loads (850fps or under) or black powder loads. Congrats on a real drooler, Tim!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 09:40:42 AM »
Congrats Z. That's a mighty fine looking pistola. Now you need to fix the short arbor and that's coming from the guy that hasn't fixed his yet. (7+" I also haven't loaded any bp for mine yet either. :hurry:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 10:05:18 AM »
Yep, that's a looker! Since you're not going to be knocking down silhouettes with it, .38SPL or .38 Long Colt will be just fine. And should you decide to go down a rabbit hole, reloading for that cart should be fairly simple, though a number of vendors are showing 'IN STOCK' for ammunition for this, including Buffalo Arms and Midway. My suggestion would be to stick with Cowboy Loads (850fps or under) or black powder loads. Congrats on a real drooler, Tim!

Roger that Cap!! Thank you sir. Thanks for the load suggestions. A little disappointing that it's not strong enough for a silhouettes? Not that I have access to those but still :-[ Oh well.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 10:07:07 AM »
Congrats Z. That's a mighty fine looking pistola. Now you need to fix the short arbor and that's coming from the guy that hasn't fixed his yet. (7+" I also haven't loaded any bp for mine yet either. :hurry:

Thank you Hawg. I appreciate your response as always. Sounds like I got a wimpy revolver? HAHAHAHAHA Oh Well, she's a purty one though.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 10:12:12 AM »

Marshal, thank you sir. I appreciate your comments.  :usa-flag-89: Would you say it's safe to say it's a conglomerate of a revolver seein how it really isn't "historically accurate"?
Yes, it's possible that someone back then decided he wanted an Army grip and found one to put on it. A lot of unusual things were done over the years. A friend of mine collected Colts and I remember him saying he ran into some mighty odd stuff. Even gunsmiths tended to cater to people's whims. There was a very famous one named J. C. Petmecky who was a gunsmith in Austin, TX. He catered to the Texas Ranges, other lawmen and even made a few guns for Gov. Sam Houston. He modified new guns right out of the box for some of  them if they wanted something different.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2022, 10:14:02 AM »
T'aint't nuffin wimpy about it. It just ain't the latest and greatest. The .38 special has been around since 1898 and was the standard service cartridge for police departments from the 20's until the 90's. She definitely is purty.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 10:15:03 AM »

Roger that Cap!! Thank you sir. Thanks for the load suggestions. A little disappointing that it's not strong enough for a silhouettes? Not that I have access to those but still :-[ Oh well.

Silhouette involves shooting at fairly long distances with a heavy bullet carrying a bunch of kinetic energy downrange to knock over heavy steel targets. A lot of modern cartridge/gun combos wouldn't do any better. The .38spl is a proven load for nearly a century as standard LEO carry. Don't sell it short. It will most likely do exactly what you would require it to do and a lot cheaper than bigger, more powerful carts.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2022, 10:17:02 AM »

Silhouette involves shooting at fairly long distances with a heavy bullet carrying a bunch of kinetic energy downrange to knock over heavy steel targets. A lot of modern cartridge/gun combos wouldn't do any better. The .38spl is a proven load for nearly a century as standard LEO carry. Don't sell it short. It will most likely do exactly what you would require it to do and a lot cheaper than bigger, more powerful carts.
Thanks Cap. That makes me feel a little better.  :usa-flag-89: