Black Powder Pistols > Open Tops

Latest Acquisition

(1/6) > >>

Zulch:
    So, I have this Uberti, Richards Conversion? Richards Mason Conversion? or a little of both? It is a .38 spec. with an 8" barrel, steel backstrap and trigger guard. The vendor advertises it as an 1860 Richards Mason. Uberti calls this model "9054" an "1860 Richards Army" yes, that's correct, and it is available in .38SP. – .44Colt – .44SP. – .45LC. http://www.ubertireplicas.com/product/1860-richards-army/
I chose the .38 spec. simply because the ammo is somewhat cheaper than the other calibers. Generally speaking, I do prefer the larger calibers but as I've said, I am cheap. I also have been doing a lot of reading lately in various gun articles (graciously provided by Capt. Kirk) and also on other forums as well as CC. I know that these are replicas and so, the Italians can do whatever they wish. It seems that a number of 1861's were converted back in the day by Colt to accept cartridges in .38 cal. So I guess this is more like and 1861 Navy? Anyway, it is a very nice replica. The ejector housing/mechanism seems a little flimsy but the rest of the gun is very nice. A quote from another forum on identifying the differences between the Richards Conversion and the Richards Mason
" Raised rear sight on breech plate, spring loaded firing pin, complicated ejector assembly - Richards Conversion."
" Firing pin on hammer, small notch on the hammer for a rear sight, simple ejector assembly mounted on the side of the barrel lug - Richards-Mason Conversion."
" Firing pin on hammer, rear sight on barrel - Open Top."   
   Maybe this is a rather generalized identification process stated in the quote. but it's a start for me. Just wanted to share.

Necessaryevil:
Looks fabulous, have you shot it yet, if so what does it shoot like ?

Zulch:
Thank you NE...I have not had the opportunity yet. I need to purchase some ammo and am looking forward to it. I will certainly report as soon as i can. 

Marshal Will:
Congratulations on a fine purchase. In .38 Spl that would be an 1861 conversion if it had the navy grips.

Being .38 Spl, it will also take .38 Long Colt, which would be more historically accurate. I hear there are some available retail but maybe the best way to go with that is to reload your own. In your bore, you wouldn't need heeled bullets so reloading would be easy. Although a bit anemic, the .38LC can be fun to shoot. For CAS, it could have difficulty with knock-down targets, though. But what the heck, it's all about the fun, anyway.

Looking forward to hearing how it shoots.

ShotgunDave:
You already know how I feel about it. I'm jealous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version