Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: #2 Dragoon  (Read 1902 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
#2 Dragoon
« on: April 01, 2022, 09:14:35 PM »
I have two ASM dragoon revolvers. One went with me to shoot today.  Well I hav a box of .45 caliber 50 gr 777 pellets. It said on the box those ar made for modern inline rifles. But, they happen to fit easily into the dragoon .  I tried one out with a 454 round ball.
   It made a very powerful load.  Like a. Heavy 357 load. 
   I don’t think my Dragoon could take many of those. That was my first and last use of 777 in a dragoon of 1848 design

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: #2 Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 10:07:44 PM »
That's a shame. Would be no problem if your revolver was tight!! Fix the short arbor in um and  let um rip!!!

Mike

Offline Keith H.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 11:25:06 PM »
I wish I could use substitute powders in mine without worry. I'm afraid rust would form if I even opened a can of it in the same room as my dragoons. I've never used 777, but good to know about the pellets. It's probably due to them being so compacted as they are, and it may be performing similar to 4f in that form.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 01:06:53 AM »
I wish I could use substitute powders in mine without worry. I'm afraid rust would form if I even opened a can of it in the same room as my dragoons. I've never used 777, but good to know about the pellets. It's probably due to them being so compacted as they are, and it may be performing similar to 4f in that form.

Use it without worry. Just clean it like you would for bp..
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Keith H.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 12:09:42 PM »
That will work if you are using the gun periodically and on a somewhat regular basis, as it has not had time to rear its poisonous head, but if you do the most thorough cleaning and oiling of every part and store for up to a year thinking all is well, most people will get a surprise afterwards. Of course, I'm sure a lot also depends on the climate in one's area, but it's not something I am willing to subject mine to. I've never seen regular holy-black do this.
Giving it some more thought, and I'm sure it has something to do with climate. Here in East Texas and Louisiana it's terrible, but I'm guessing that out West it's not as big of a problem.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 12:42:08 PM by Keith H. »

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 01:34:35 PM »
The phobic bit about the corrosivity of BP subs, Pyro, T7, wudevah, is the most overstated thing in the world.  It verges on the cultic.   I've used a ton of that stuff twice a week for decades on several different guns and no problem.  None. 

I suspect that some shooters only half-assly clean their firing pieces and are later surprised to find rust.  The thing speaks for itself but they blame the powder.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 01:41:01 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 09:49:05 AM »
my view,  I don't think it matters what powder you use in your BP revolver. You should clean it as usual at the end of the day. there is no escaping the need for a clean gun. Once in a while I have to wait to clean one of my rifles or pistoles keeps me up at night. I had a new TC hawken 50 years ago that I loan out. I came back runed.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 10:21:22 AM »
my view,  I don't think it matters what powder you use in your BP revolver. You should clean it as usual at the end of the day. there is no escaping the need for a clean gun. Once in a while I have to wait to clean one of my rifles or pistoles keeps me up at night. I had a new TC hawken 50 years ago that I loan out. I came back runed.

Bad juju there, Rick. Did they offer to pay for damages?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 10:41:42 AM »
Not any luck with that.😥😥😥

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 11:05:26 AM »
Not any luck with that.😥😥😥

Yeah, pretty much why I don't loan out my stuff.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"