Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Powder inventory  (Read 6539 times)

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
Powder inventory
« on: April 16, 2022, 08:46:52 AM »
Well after making powder for the demonstration thread.  I decided to inventory my supply of powder.

I’m clueless of how much I might need.  I have 3pounds of homemade FFF.  2 lb of Goex and 4 lb of Graf.

That’s nine pounds of good powder. That’s enough for 2000+ revolver rounds.  I have supplies enough for 6 more homemade powder.  :usa-flag-89:  I can sleep easily now  L@J

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Powder inventory
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 12:00:43 PM »
That's a good supply Rick. I have 12lbs altogether of various granulations. That should tide me over for a while.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 12:26:02 PM »
Shotgun: 
     It’s always better to have much more than you “need” than less than you need.
    Supply, supply, supply.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 01:28:34 PM »
That’s great Rick😃👍 that’s a nice supply .

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 02:51:39 PM »
Shotgun: 
     It’s always better to have much more than you “need” than less than you need.
    Supply, supply, supply.

I totally agree. I also bought a ton of the RWS caps when they had them. I've never really used them before, but it was all that was available. Gonna have to start making my own like you do.

It's one of the reason I love BP shooting so much. I can be 100% self sufficient if I need to be. Can't do that with modern smokeless guns.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 06:27:55 AM »
I have about 20 lbs of BP in various granulars of commercial, as well as about 10lbs of my home brew, and enough Chems to make another 10lbs. I keep about 2500 caps as well 10’s and 11’s. I converted most of my BP stuff to 209 primers where I could. But not the revolvers obviously.

I do keep a large inventory of smokeless as well, with powder being around 100lb and primers around 50k. Don’t wanna get caught short. I also keep the chems to make the H-48 corrosive caps and primers. Just in case.

It’s all been an investment. Did I mention I also make arrows? I take being armed fairly seriously considering there is plenty of stuff around that would be happy to eat me.

AG.
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 07:16:29 AM »
I have about 20 lbs of BP in various granulars of commercial, as well as about 10lbs of my home brew, and enough Chems to make another 10lbs. I keep about 2500 caps as well 10’s and 11’s. I converted most of my BP stuff to 209 primers where I could. But not the revolvers obviously.

I do keep a large inventory of smokeless as well, with powder being around 100lb and primers around 50k. Don’t wanna get caught short. I also keep the chems to make the H-48 corrosive caps and primers. Just in case.

It’s all been an investment. Did I mention I also make arrows? I take being armed fairly seriously considering there is plenty of stuff around that would be happy to eat me.

AG.

Your neck of the woods is nothing to sneeze at, Mark. Better safe than sorry.
I make arrows as well.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 03:48:32 PM »
I've got a pound and a half of Pyrodex. 3 1/2 pounds of Swiss and a little less than a pound of IMR 4350 and about a half a pound of W231. I need to pick up some more 4350 and W231 plus some Varget.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 04:19:33 PM »
Depends on what guns you intend to shoot. When loading black powder shotguns shells for Cowboy matches, a pound of powder disappears pretty fast.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 05:47:16 AM »
Boy you ain’t kidding there Navy Six.  BP goes way faster then smokeless. That why one of my go to powders is red dot. I keep about 10lbs of that one alone as it shoots in everything.. I use 6gr in 223, like 13g in 30 cal stuff, and so on.. very economical powder… 500 rounds to a lb for most stuff.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 06:02:19 AM »
Boy you ain’t kidding there Navy Six.  BP goes way faster then smokeless. That why one of my go to powders is red dot. I keep about 10lbs of that one alone as it shoots in everything.. I use 6gr in 223, like 13g in 30 cal stuff, and so on.. very economical powder… 500 rounds to a lb for most stuff.

Hi AlaskaGuy, I am curious, where do you buy Red Dot? That sounds like a good thing to have around. I have not heard of it. Thank you, Tim

Offline DragoonRick

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 10:27:08 AM »
Zulch,
  Look up “The Load” it is a red dot load for rifles  I use red dot for44 special. It serves well for low velocity 30-30 and other rifle rounds.  7 grns in 30-30.  13 grns in 308,  O6 and others .30 cal and larger. 

Look at cast Bullet Association forum. CE Harris

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 11:40:57 AM »
Zulch,
  Look up “The Load” it is a red dot load for rifles  I use red dot for44 special. It serves well for low velocity 30-30 and other rifle rounds.  7 grns in 30-30.  13 grns in 308,  O6 and others .30 cal and larger. 

Look at cast Bullet Association forum. CE Harris

Thank you Rick. I was thinking that red Dot was a BP substitute. My mistake. I misread the post. I appreciate you taking time to answer though. Much appreciated. Thank you Sir,
Tim

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 02:17:46 PM »

Hi AlaskaGuy, I am curious, where do you buy Red Dot? That sounds like a good thing to have around. I have not heard of it. Thank you, Tim

I bought a large supply of Aliant Red Dot years ago, and I snatch it up everytime I see in on a shelf or from a friend that wants to trade. And as others mentioned, Look up “the Load”

I also use a lot of Blue Dot also from aliant. There was a guy named seafear that got me hooked on it for low recoil loads with low volume of powder.. very very economically friendly. Both red dot and blue dot are great for cast bullets…

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 02:29:53 PM »
And of course there is Aliant 2400 powder…. To be honest, I use more Aliant powder then any other powder…

no, I wasn’t paid for this endorsement.. I just love their stuff. As a reloader, I am always looking to stretch my supplies.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 02:56:30 PM by AlaskanGuy »