Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: G.U. 1851  (Read 5895 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
G.U. 1851
« on: December 29, 2013, 05:00:06 AM »
Here is a photo of an 1851 I grabbed from the Log Cabin.

I am hoping Fingers can give a little history on the G.U. markings.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: G.U. 1851
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
Gregorelli and Uberti. That's a nice one. It has some collector value.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »
Be glad to StrawHat.

In 1957, Val Forgett, William B. Edwards, and either Aldo Uberti or Vittorio Gregorelli (the book isn't clear; but I'm thinking it was Uberti; Gregorelli became involved because he had the makers license and Uberti didn't at the time.) met in Italy and decided to resurrect the 1851 Navy Revolver and Navy Arms came into being.  The first 16 revolvers were made in 1958; 10 1851 Navies and 6 Griswold and Gunnisons.  The manufacturing company was known as Gregorelli & Uberti until Uberti bought Gregorelli out around 1964 IIRC when it became known as A. Uberti. I have a pair of GU Griswold's, one without a date code and 10XX serial number and one with a 1960 date and 12XX serial number.  Like Hawg said, yours is a collectible.

There is a very interesting chapter in William B. Edwards book 'Civil War Guns' about the beginnings of the replica manufacturing industry.  Although; the entire book is fascinating.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 09:35:50 AM »
Hi StrawHat, is that a .36cal?

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I'm not StrawHat; but, yes, it is a .36
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 04:16:51 AM »
Fingers is correct, as usual, it is a 36.  For what it is worth, I am somewhat of a purist.  I tend to prefer replicas that are close to the originals.  For me, 44s are found in the horse pistols and the 1860.  36s are the 51s, 61s, and the Pocket series.

Anyway, here is another shot of the G.U.

It has some interesting features.  I am fond of the rear sight notch in the hammer.

It does not have the safety pins on the cylinder so there is no cut in the hammer for them.

It is a four digit serial number but no date code is found.  It is marked "Navy Arms Co." on the barrel and G.U. on the barrel lug but those are the only markings.

After shooting and gathering C&B revolves for nearly 50 years, it was the first 1851 I purchased for myself.  It appears to be unfired and it will so remain.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 08:54:59 AM »
No date code and a 4 digit SN probably less than 1100 would indicate a pre 1960 manufacture.  I'd love to get Dr. Davis to weigh in on it.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
No cylinder scene?
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 04:00:58 AM »
Nope, just what you see in the photos!

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 08:15:01 PM »
Beautiful! My buddy snagged what could be it's twin brother last summer.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"