Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Is it me?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Is it me?
« on: May 03, 2022, 10:48:11 AM »
Is it just me, or does it seem like shooting threads/range reports have slowed down to a trickle on this as well as other forums?
Here in the Midwest we are having a wet, chilly and late spring. I've not yet been to the black powder outdoor range this year, though it supposedly opens May 1st. I'm sure it's a total swamp. I have managed to make several trips to the indoor range this year. I read where some folks out West/Southwest are into the fire season/hot weather and are done shooting for the summer.
The poll we recently had indicated most of us CC members haven't let the crap economy interfere much. So I'm curious as to why shooting activity seems to be in the tank?
One bright note is Miguel Loco's airgun thread. This is a terrific way to get in some lead flinging without leaving the house, in many cases. I've been doing a little myself. Keep the reports coming, guys!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• View Profile
Re: Is it me?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 11:11:19 AM »
Been up-dating my back yard range. New back stop. Grandchild coming over for a 4-days week-end. There will be some BP shooting, starting Thursday.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 11:45:53 AM »
I just haven't had time. Two busy kids to drag around and some health issues lately, have kept me from heading up the hill to shoot. School gets out in a few weeks for the summer. Hope to get a lot more shooting in then.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 01:28:43 PM »
Health issues and lousy weather causing poor range conditions has cut my shooting down to 0.  Hopfully that will change in the weeks ahead.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Navy Six

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 10:38:31 AM »
No, Captainkirk, I don't think it's just you. I am on several different sites--usually a daily basis-- and there has been an apparent reduction in posts everywhere. I've just chalked it up to the shortages of primers, caps, powder, etc. Hard to get excited about shooting when you may not be able to shoot. Also hard to get excited about that new 51 Navy you just bought--wait, that's right, there were none to buy. I am OK with components for now, but lately I've been attempting gunsmithing projects that I may not have bothered with in the past.
Only Blackpowder is interesting.
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun". Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 11:18:24 AM »
My outdoor shooting season has ended. We have several wild fires in Arizona and I don’t want to be responsible for starting one. I shoot in the desert, not an established range. Last week when I went shooting there was a large burn spot in the area where I usually shoot. The humidity today is 10% at 11:00 am. Everything is dry. The temperature is in the mid 90s today projected to be 99 on Friday. This is normal, my outdoor shooting season usually ends in May.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 11:32:38 AM »
I feel ya Lyle....we're in the same boat here is So. AZ. That's why I picked up a cheap air pistol for the back yard. So I'm still shooting here, just not the really fun stuff......but it's still fun.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 11:43:04 AM »
I haven't shot much in the last year or so, but I did take my 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore out a couple of weeks ago and made a lot of smoke. I'm on the Calif/Nev border here in north eastern Calif and my shooting range is public land a couple of miles from my house. Had some snow a week or so ago, but it is dry here. It is mostly rocks and sand where I shoot so I'm itching to get out there with my revolvers, only thing holding me back now is strong winds for the next week or so.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 11:48:08 AM »
No, Captainkirk, I don't think it's just you. I am on several different sites--usually a daily basis-- and there has been an apparent reduction in posts everywhere. I've just chalked it up to the shortages of primers, caps, powder, etc. Hard to get excited about shooting when you may not be able to shoot. Also hard to get excited about that new 51 Navy you just bought--wait, that's right, there were none to buy. I am OK with components for now, but lately I've been attempting gunsmithing projects that I may not have bothered with in the past.

Yes, I can see that being the case! I have a lot of components for reloading BP as well as smokeless cartridges in a number of calibers...and I'm very reluctant to use them because once loaded, you no longer have the capability to use them on another choice. So I keep a couple hundred at the ready and hang on to my supplies constantly watching for items to come back in stock. My last cap purchase involved a decent load of caps but I'm reluctant to shoot them up as I don't know when the spring will start flowing again in this dry creek bed we are all living in now. Scary times indeed.
As it is, I can run downstairs and crank out 100 rounds if I need them.

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 08:30:50 PM »
I also have been very reluctant to use any components that aren’t absolutely necessary …. Gotta save up fer ruskies… they are fairly close to me..
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 04:08:51 AM »
Hello Captain,

I don't think it's you.
Seems to me forum traffic slows periodically.
Of course the late spring here in the Midwest isn't helping.
Probably the fact that most of us have already completed our projects,
and also that Cabelas no longer has their great sales on Revolvers.
I still have some 1/2 completed projects which when finished you'll get to read about them.
One word of advice, "don't hold your breath" I'm getting slower with age.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 09:22:10 AM »
Hello Captain,

I don't think it's you.
Seems to me forum traffic slows periodically.
Of course the late spring here in the Midwest isn't helping.
Probably the fact that most of us have already completed our projects,
and also that Cabelas no longer has their great sales on Revolvers.
I still have some 1/2 completed projects which when finished you'll get to read about them.
One word of advice, "don't hold your breath" I'm getting slower with age.

AntiqueSledMan.

Hi, ASM...yeah the spring is coming late. And I had forgotten about the great sales Cabelas used to have, but that shouldn't be restricting anyone who already has a BP gun? Personally, I think making all things shooting more difficult in general is all part of the A2A agenda, and if so, it appears to be having some effect.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 03:19:55 PM »
No let-up here.  We cheerfully shoot in all weathers.  The coming fire season will only effect where we shoot, not when.

My crew and I have cleaned out every hole-in-the-wall gun shop between Mendocino and Coos Bay for powder and caps.  A pound or so here a few tins there.  Could start a small BP war if we wanted to and there are times I wouldn't mind. 

The fun keeps rollin in my parts - hard times or not.

Oh, and FJB (in the neck).  His committee of handlers want a war with Russia and they may get one.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2022, 12:34:53 PM »
We're in fire restrictions here, which means no outdoor shooting except at an actual range. I belong to an indoor range, but no black powder allowed. I'm going there on Monday. No gun purchases, so no real gun news to post. I had a dream last night that I bought a flintlock pistol that you wore on your head like a hat, if that means anything.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2022, 01:22:20 PM »
I had a dream last night that I bought a flintlock pistol that you wore on your head like a hat, if that means anything.

A hatlock.  (7+" (7+" (7+"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.