Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: COM-marked Navy  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
COM-marked Navy
« on: August 16, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »
I have a COM-marked Navy .36 steel framed Colt repro that I purchased new in 1984-85. The date code is AD (1978); the importer was EXCAM. Other than that there are no other identifying marks other than serial number, warnings, and proof marks. Any idea on who might have built this gun?

IMAG0465 by buellosaurusrex, on Flickr

IMAG0464 by buellosaurusrex, on Flickr

IMAG0463 by buellosaurusrex, on Flickr

IMAG0462 by buellosaurusrex, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:10:46 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: COM-marked Navy
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »
Kirk,

From a 2010 thread on Italian manufactures, it is thought that COM is: Contrini Officine Meccaniche di Contrini Giovanni, Gardone VT, via XXIV aprile Contrini Giovanni Gardone VT 1973
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: COM-marked Navy
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:20:53 PM »
Thanks, Ken. Recently Jim Davis mentioned in a thread somewhere or other that he suspected that COM (or DOM) might have been the outsource company for the barrels alone....hence the marking on the barrel only. I thought perhaps the markings on the frame might perhaps ring a bell of some other manufacturer's M.O. but you could be right; they may have manufactured the entire gun. At any rate, while not the highest quality gun, it is an unusual piece and I am quite proud to own it. Thanks for your input! Karma headed your way!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"