Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Bedford Springs Inn Tavern - Rifles on the wall / case  (Read 3729 times)

Offline NLM

• View Profile
Bedford Springs Inn Tavern - Rifles on the wall / case
« on: May 14, 2022, 12:00:48 PM »
Several years ago I had traveled to Bedford Springs Resort Inn , Bedford, Pennsylvania and ate in the tavern more then once.

Also visited the 911 Memorial.

They had several BP rifles / muskets in a case on the wall of the tavern (Use to get the seafood tower and enjoy looking at them).

I thought about adding a small display of these items to my wall at home.  I don't want reproductions, but really don't want enhanced items either.

Can anyone point me in a direction?  I live the "Pennsylvania / Kentucky" Long Rifles.

I have watched RIA auctions for sometime but decided I don't want to pay a buyers premium to have the ability to give away my money.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 12:44:56 PM by NLM »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Bedford Springs Inn Tavern - Rifles on the wall / case
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 02:01:29 PM »
I would think that old flintlocks and such, would be plentiful in the Pennsylvania area. Have you tried local antique and pawn shops? Are you more interested in the genuine guns, or modern reproductions?
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 07:27:48 PM »
There used to be a Mexican restaurant in the town 30 miles north of here. They had display cases all around the walls with old revolvers, mostly Colt SAA and period Mexican leather, even saddles. It was incredible seeing all that stuff outside of a museum.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline NLM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 04:08:48 AM »
I would think that old flintlocks and such, would be plentiful in the Pennsylvania area. Have you tried local antique and pawn shops? Are you more interested in the genuine guns, or modern reproductions?

Went to a few antique places that I passed and have not seen anything.  Now this is before the pandemic.

I am seeking original - not reproductions.

Offline NLM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 04:10:57 AM »
There used to be a Mexican restaurant in the town 30 miles north of here. They had display cases all around the walls with old revolvers, mostly Colt SAA and period Mexican leather, even saddles. It was incredible seeing all that stuff outside of a museum.

Bedford ? or where you live?

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 04:49:44 AM »
Where I live.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 01:31:24 PM »
I've got a really beat up Belgian SXS muzzleloader shotgun if you're interested. You can have it CHEAP too. It's a wall hanger only.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline NLM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 02:42:57 AM »
I've got a really beat up Belgian SXS muzzleloader shotgun if you're interested. You can have it CHEAP too. It's a wall hanger only.

Not looking for one - but I will gladly take a look. 

At one time I wasn't interested in the Colt Single Action Army 7.5" - until I held one

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 08:25:16 AM »

At one time I wasn't interested in the Colt Single Action Army 7.5" - until I held one

That's the problem, isn't it? As soon as you hold the thing, you gotta have it.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 08:36:53 AM »

That's true Dave, If I held a Schofield?? I'd be in financial trouble.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 08:51:45 AM »

That's true Dave, If I held a Schofield?? I'd be in financial trouble.

I think I'm reasonably safe with the Schofield. I just don't care for the clunky looks of the thing. But put a Colt in my hand, and all bets are off.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline NLM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 03:37:26 AM »

Something I can't afford..

Original U.S. Revolutionary War Era British Long Land Pattern Brown Bess Flintlock Musket by Vernon - dated 1761

https://www.ima-usa.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/original-u-s-revolutionary-war-era-british-long-land-pattern-brown-bess-flintlock-musket-by-vernon-dated-1761

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 05:12:07 AM »
Whoa!!?? Yes, I can see why you would want that. I would have a hard time explaining that to the wife.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2023, 04:01:41 AM »
…I don't want reproductions, but really don't want enhanced items either.

Can anyone point me in a direction?  I live the "Pennsylvania / Kentucky" Long Rifles.

I have watched RIA auctions for sometime but decided I don't want to pay a buyers premium to have the ability to give away my money.

Originals are pricey.  And unless you know what you are buying, they can be very expensive. I had a collection of Committee of Safety muskets, 11 guns by 11 different makers but all built to a standard. 

“Point me in a direction”, it would help to know where you live.  I usually recommend a trip to the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio.  They always have a selection of antique long rifles and an even larger selection of modern made ones also.  Hand built just like the antiques but with better materials. 

Or, check out what is offered by Track of the Wolf.  They have some stuff for sale and provide reliable descriptions.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Online Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2023, 04:07:43 AM »
NLM hasn't been here in almost a year.