Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Beginnings  (Read 10796 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Beginnings
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2022, 07:08:34 PM »
I don't have a cool story or deep background history to my BP beginnings.    My kids were young and getting into Rodeo so I was making leather Rodeo gear such as spur straps and bronc halters, fixing saddles and such.   A guy asked if I could make a holster for his Remington.   I said I would try,  so he dropped the revolver off with me.    I made the holster and gave it to the guy.   While I had the gun with me I got interested a little bit so I went to a gun show and found a '51 Navy and a brass '58 Remington to buy.    I've been making gun leather and buying and shooting anything BP that catches my eye ever since. 

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2022, 07:14:28 PM »
Well, I think your story was interesting Mike, different than most, but that's what make everyone's story unique. I have two of your leather works, a holster and leather holder for my Polish capper and they are both beautiful pieces of work.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2022, 05:32:13 AM »
I must have been 6 years old in Primary School in Liverpool England. We were given a special "bring a toy to school day" and I decided to take my cowboy hat, belt and holster with a very blue toy revolver with faux ivory handles.

It fired rolls of caps made of paper. It would have been 1964 and the lefty snowflake teacher (yes we had lefty snowflakes in England way back then) took the revolver from me and placed it on top of the blackboard where it stayed for the rest of the day.

She gave me a lecture of how much of a bad person I was. What a bullying COW what a bitch she was when I look back on it.

So I think that experience kindled a very healthy indestructible interest in firearms in me, which I still have to this day.

Wind it forward to 1983 when I got my 1st shotgun licence and an over and under 12g for clays. I'm still utter rubbish at clay shooting.

1987 London Metropolitan Police firearms training.............."Goddammit Private Pyle we've found something you can do"......I was top student on the course with Model 10 Smith and Wesson .38sp.

Same year obtained my civilian firearms licence, had a CZ 75, a Taurus .357 mag and a Taurus .22 revolver.

1996 a Scottish lunatic took a licenced Beretta 92 and other pistols into a school and murdered teachers and children. This scumbag was on the Police radar, so much so prior to these murders a Detecive Sgt submitted a report to pull his licence and confiscate his guns. He was over ridden and ignored by a High ranking officer.

Tony.B.LIAR wanted to get elected and managed it selling gun confiscation to the voting sheep, it worked for him, he got to be the Prime Minister.

1997 Blair amended the Firearms act. He moved cartridge pistols and revolvers to Section 5, thus re-classifying them the same as a machine gun. Effectively banning them to the general public. Me included.

They confiscated my ParaOrd .38 super, my Glock 22 and all my other pistols. I got paid for them, eventually.

So I got to thinking. Blair didn't touch muzzle loaders, revolvers included. After a bit of research I went and bought a stainless steel Pietta 1858 target model with adjustable sights in .44.

WOW that thing could shoot. I had the trigger done by a local gunsmith and it was amazingly accurate. I only ever shot it with Pyrodex P as I just couldn't be bothered getting an Explosives Licence to buy and store Black Powder.

2008 I retired. I sold all my UK guns except a 20g semi auto that the guys bought me for a retirement present and moved to Spain. I brought the 20g and a 12 Remington 870 with me.

2009 Got my 1st Spanish gun LICENCES (different categories required) for pistols, rifles and shotguns. So now I can and do own any guns Americans can and some you guys can't...............well not easily anyway.

So for old times sake I bought a brand new Uberti .44 stainless 1858 replica. Shoots just as good as my Pietta did. Added an original Colt 1851 Navy and a Ruger NMA in stainless to the collection.

So here I am today with FAR TOO MANY GUNS............ (7+"
Very good story NecessaryEvil and a little history lesson tied up in there. I had no idea that Mr. T. Blair banned civilians from owning guns. I am trying to envision what that must have been like to have some government folks come to your house? Sounds like a very bad movie.  I'm glad for you being in Spain and having your guns.  :cowboypistol:

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2022, 06:39:25 AM »
Well, I think your story was interesting Mike, different than most, but that's what make everyone's story unique. I have two of your leather works, a holster and leather holder for my Polish capper and they are both beautiful pieces of work.

Thanks BC!

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2022, 07:12:51 AM »
Yup.... great story Mike! I've got one of your holsters too..... it's on the wall above my leather work area.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2022, 08:30:21 AM »
We wanna see the pics you DON'T want to share. (7+"

We wanna see the pics you DON'T want to share. (7+"

Me too!!!

No, you really don't.    (7+" (7+" (7+"
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2022, 09:45:16 AM »
I must have been 6 years old in Primary School in Liverpool England. We were given a special "bring a toy to school day" and I decided to take my cowboy hat, belt and holster with a very blue toy revolver with faux ivory handles.

It fired rolls of caps made of paper. It would have been 1964 and the lefty snowflake teacher (yes we had lefty snowflakes in England way back then) took the revolver from me and placed it on top of the blackboard where it stayed for the rest of the day.

She gave me a lecture of how much of a bad person I was. What a bullying COW what a bitch she was when I look back on it.

So I think that experience kindled a very healthy indestructible interest in firearms in me, which I still have to this day.

Wind it forward to 1983 when I got my 1st shotgun licence and an over and under 12g for clays. I'm still utter rubbish at clay shooting.

1987 London Metropolitan Police firearms training.............."Goddammit Private Pyle we've found something you can do"......I was top student on the course with Model 10 Smith and Wesson .38sp.

Same year obtained my civilian firearms licence, had a CZ 75, a Taurus .357 mag and a Taurus .22 revolver.

1996 a Scottish lunatic took a licenced Beretta 92 and other pistols into a school and murdered teachers and children. This scumbag was on the Police radar, so much so prior to these murders a Detecive Sgt submitted a report to pull his licence and confiscate his guns. He was over ridden and ignored by a High ranking officer.

Tony.B.LIAR wanted to get elected and managed it selling gun confiscation to the voting sheep, it worked for him, he got to be the Prime Minister.

1997 Blair amended the Firearms act. He moved cartridge pistols and revolvers to Section 5, thus re-classifying them the same as a machine gun. Effectively banning them to the general public. Me included.

They confiscated my ParaOrd .38 super, my Glock 22 and all my other pistols. I got paid for them, eventually.

So I got to thinking. Blair didn't touch muzzle loaders, revolvers included. After a bit of research I went and bought a stainless steel Pietta 1858 target model with adjustable sights in .44.

WOW that thing could shoot. I had the trigger done by a local gunsmith and it was amazingly accurate. I only ever shot it with Pyrodex P as I just couldn't be bothered getting an Explosives Licence to buy and store Black Powder.

2008 I retired. I sold all my UK guns except a 20g semi auto that the guys bought me for a retirement present and moved to Spain. I brought the 20g and a 12 Remington 870 with me.

2009 Got my 1st Spanish gun LICENCES (different categories required) for pistols, rifles and shotguns. So now I can and do own any guns Americans can and some you guys can't...............well not easily anyway.

So for old times sake I bought a brand new Uberti .44 stainless 1858 replica. Shoots just as good as my Pietta did. Added an original Colt 1851 Navy and a Ruger NMA in stainless to the collection.

So here I am today with FAR TOO MANY GUNS............ (7+"
Very good story NecessaryEvil and a little history lesson tied up in there. I had no idea that Mr. T. Blair banned civilians from owning guns. I am trying to envision what that must have been like to have some government folks come to your house? Sounds like a very bad movie.  I'm glad for you being in Spain and having your guns.  :cowboypistol:

Hola Buenas dias. Blair didn't ban civilians from owning ALL firearms, just cartridge firing handguns. They can still have smoothbore shotguns all action types,  limited (permanently) to three rounds on a Shotgun Certificate. Min 24" barrels.

On a FIREARM Certificate they can have single shot, double barrel and manual magazine repeater rifles except pump action.

High cap smoothbore shotguns all action types min 24" barrel, .22 rimfire rifles incl semi auto and ..........LONG BARRELLED REVOLVERS. Minimum barrel length 12 inches fitted with a permenently attached "wrist brace"...............Finally any kind of muzzle loader.

Here in Spain I did have a Hatsan 12g pump fitted with a pistol grip and a 12" barrel, no problem here but  such a gun is a bit complicated in the US ?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2024, 07:21:14 PM »
We have some GREAT stories here! We also have a bunch of crickets making racket over in the corner. So if you haven't yet told your story, be it novel version or Cliff's Notes, please do so!
How we got to this stage of life is an important part of our history, and helps us know each and every one of you better. Spill the beans. You're among friends! (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2024, 08:49:28 PM »
I dunno. I remember in the 70's Hogdon came in a red can with a plastic flip top like this. It didn't say Goex anywhere on it. I've also seen older looking metal cans with screw on caps marked Goex.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2024, 05:06:01 AM »
That's cool Hawg. Is that your can? Gotta go to the can man. (7+"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2024, 05:07:52 AM »
Necessary Evil? Wherefore art thou sir? Been a long while since you graced CC with your presence. Hope things are well with you over in Spain.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2024, 05:19:50 AM »
That's cool Hawg. Is that your can? Gotta go to the can man. (7+"

Nope.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.