Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Healthy interest or dark fetish?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: Healthy interest or dark fetish?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 01:13:21 PM »
Healthy interest for sure. Much safer in their hands than wanna be gangsta's and "picked on" high-schoolers.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 04:27:41 PM »
I think it’s a healthy interest.  I do question the thought process about posting the photos…. Uncle Joe’s henchmen could come knocking on their doors…. Why advertise ?   L@J

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 05:45:34 AM »
Well,

I guess I have to agree with DoubleDuece1, no need to advertise.

Almost would have to feel sorry for the stupid idiot that breaks into their house, I guess not.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 06:06:41 AM »
I don't question a person's decision as to how many firearms they feel they need (or want), provided they are legal and used in a law abiding fashion.
OTOH, I think displaying them as in the above example is reckless and irresponsible and smacks of the chest-thumping FB/TikTok generation mentality.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 11:29:03 AM »
Healthy interest. I think it's sad that we have to be ashamed of owning guns. No matter how many we have. There should be nothing wrong with a law abiding citizen, displaying their gun collection. But unfortunately in this time, these people are labeled as extremist and they're probably on several Gov't watch lists. Meanwhile, mentally unstable people go un-noticed and shoot up schools. We're living in sad times.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 02:47:46 PM »
I am inclined to agree with you Dave.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 02:58:35 PM »
I am inclined to agree with you Dave.

Do you two feel "ashamed" of owning guns?  I don't.  Every American in good standing should have as many as they want.  That's a given.  Being a poseur is another matter - irrespective of the security breach.  Those people in the photos strike me as having emotional issues.  They could arm the whole neighborhood, though.  That could-maybe be a good thing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 03:04:52 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 04:05:15 PM »
No Sir, I am not ashamed. I have guns displayed in various rooms of my house. I do not lock them up when company comes over, or if my kids have friends over. I also post pictures of my guns on social media. I have family that I only communicate with on social media, and we keep each other abreast of what we're up to. If I get a new gun, or take the kids shooting, I post pictures and video just like I do here.

My philosophy is, if you don't like what I'm posting, scroll on past. I'm not changing my way of life for anyone.

Back in the late 90's, early 2000's, I had an FFL. I owned over 200 long guns, several of which were the "black" variety. I was damn proud to be able to own all of those guns. If I hadn't got divorced and still had that kind of money, I'd have an even bigger collection today.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 06:12:07 PM »
I can say that I certainly am not ashamed of owning anything,  except for maybe a Yugo.  I would be ashamed owning a Yugo,  and a Volvo too.

Having said that,  I can recall at least two instances,  one recently and the other several years ago,  when someone saw a photo and lodged a complaint.  The persons who lodged the complaints were not even in the same city where the photos were taken.  They weren’t even in the same year as the photos were taken.  In one instance,  the person who complained didn’t even know the people in the photo,  or where it was taken.  Nobody was a law breaker.  Everybody was a responsible,  working,  tax paying citizen,

There were ‘knocks’ on the doors.  Nuff said.   :-X :no_no:

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 02:51:11 AM »
Hi, some people collect stamps, coins, art, or children. Who am I to judge their decisions? I collect cameras, drones, telescopes, and yes, guns.

I know if somehow the press managed to see my gun collection, there would be a local newspaper outcry, "Man has dangerous arsenal in his house".

F...ing hypocrites!

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!