Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The Winter from Hell  (Read 11063 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
The Winter from Hell
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:37:35 PM »
OK; I'm normally not a whiner; take the good with the bad, take the Four Seasons as they come, however inconvenient.
However, this winter with it's Polar Inversion or whatever the $%&^! they call it, is a wee bit too much for my liking.
We've had snowfall of some significance at least every couple of days. Not vast amounts, but it adds up. We've had more sub-zero weather than I can remember in at least 30 years. Temps have droppied down as low as -21F without wind chill some nights....This coming Sunday night is gonna be another -10 foray.....after the 4-6 inches predicted tomorrow. Some nights the furnace runs all night.....
Really; enough already..... *Z$
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: The Winter from Hell
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »
Winter from Hell, as in "When Hell freezes over"?   (jh  (jh
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:33:43 AM »
Sorry to hear the winter is getting to you back there Capt.  Out here in Colorado things have been down right pleasant.  We get a few inches of snow every week or 10 days.  Not really too cold either except for a couple days.  The mountains on the other hand are getting so much snow they don't know where to put it all.  That's how they like it up there.
As I type it is 20 degrees and snowing.  I just finished cleaning off the driveway and it occurs to me that maybe I should be careful about about what I say out loud.

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 06:05:35 PM »
My youngest lives in Wiggins MS been cold there she lost a couple of new born goats to the cold.
She was hoping for enough snow to ride one of her quads in and play in the snow.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »
This has been the worst winter here in Mid Missouri in recent memory.  as been running in 7 or 8 day cycles of 40s - 60s for highs then single digits or negative degrees.  I've been sick since the first of Jan, and would like to get over it.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 10:22:39 PM »
This has been the worst winter here in Mid Missouri in recent memory.  as been running in 7 or 8 day cycles of 40s - 60s for highs then single digits or negative degrees.  I've been sick since the first of Jan, and would like to get over it.

Sorry to hear it, Ken. This weather is really a bummer. Glad I got my BP guns to play with in the warmth indoors!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 05:00:58 AM »
My youngest lives in Wiggins MS been cold there she lost a couple of new born goats to the cold.
She was hoping for enough snow to ride one of her quads in and play in the snow.

That's about 90 miles from me. It has indeed been cold. Temps dropping into the low teens and we did have some snow but only an inch or so.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 06:52:42 AM »
the only thing that's gettin at me is it is one day in the 70's and next day in the 30's here.  I've noticed a lot of people at work coming down sick, had some achy muscles myself. Today is nice out in the 60's, but overcast and threatening to rain.  I hate to go pay range fee and have it start pouring 30 minutes later, so normally with a hazard of rain, unless it's at somebodys property where the shootin is for free, I ain't going.  Been putting in a lot of free time with the Cabela's hunting games and my Wii, lol!
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
I've thought of moving close to the youngest but the weather there concerns me.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »
I've thought of moving close to the youngest but the weather there concerns me.

I'd be more concerned about the politics. I have a niece in San Diego. Her hubby is a border patrol agent.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 12:49:56 PM »
Karen's husband was a border patrol officer for 32 years here in San Diego, he retired June 1st and had a massive heart attack July 15th was 52 years old.
Politics one of the reasons we are looking at a move but will probably do either AZ or NV.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 01:29:31 PM »
........  We get a few inches of snow every week or 10 days.  Not really too cold either except for a couple days.  The mountains on the other hand are getting so much snow they don't know where to put it all.  That's how they like it up there.
As I type it is 20 degrees and snowing.  I just finished cleaning off the driveway and it occurs to me that maybe I should be careful about about what I say out loud.
I have a buddy down in the SW corner of Co. (near Mancos) and he says they are not getting the snow they need, and it might be a very dry summer.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 03:09:42 PM »
........  We get a few inches of snow every week or 10 days.  Not really too cold either except for a couple days.  The mountains on the other hand are getting so much snow they don't know where to put it all.  That's how they like it up there.
I have a buddy down in the SW corner of Co. (near Mancos) and he says they are not getting the snow they need, and it might be a very dry summer.

Mazo,  Seems like the Four Corners area (Durango, Cortez, Mancos etc.) has been the dryest part of the state for the past few years.  They are really the only area that is not above average for snowfall this season. Last year was one of the wetter years  they have had in a while.  I hope your buddy in Mancos is not one of the farmers or  ranchers that depend on the winter snowpack to get them through the summer.  This may be the continuation of a long dry spell for them.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 04:29:11 AM »
awesome pics man!
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 06:41:11 AM »